We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daintree & Cape Trib accessible in February?

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Daintree & Cape Trib accessible in February?

Hi I am planning a trip to Port Douglas for 5 days arriving 28 Feb, leaving 4 March, as part of a trip all around Australia. I know this is not the ideal season to visit Queensland, but it can't be helped.

We desperately want to see Cape Tribulation and I am worried after reading in the Lonely Planet that Daintree services 'pretty much shut down come February' - is this true and will it mean that we can't visit the Cap Trib area because the ferry won't run? We are planning to hire a car for the 5 days.

Thanks very much!

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daintree & Cape Trib accessible in February?

Hi,

Unfortunately nobody can answer your question! You will be here during what in a normal year is one of our wettest months, but even then there are usually lovely fine days in between the wet ones. As you have five days you have a very good chance of being able to get up to Cape Tribulation on at least one of them!

The biggest problem would be if the Daintree River itself was in flood which causes the ferry to stop for a while, and there is no other access to north of the river. Once across the river there are then a number of causeways over small creeks which after heavy rain also flood. In fact last week we drove up there and were only just able to get through as we have a 4WD Landcruiser - the road was lined with smaller cars which were stranded till the water went down. The following day it was fine and sunny and all the roads were clear!

So just keep an eye on the weather when you are here and pick the best day - otherwise some of the day tours operate big 4WD buses which may get through when a smaller car won't.

If you have the time a visit to tiny laid-back Daintree Village is well worth while - take a cruise on the Daintree River (floods permitting!), browse a couple of galleries, have a bite at one of the restaurants and maybe go on a guided or self-guided rainforest walk. www.daintreevillage.asn.au

I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself whatever the weather -and warm, torrential tropical rain is an experience in itself!

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daintree & Cape Trib accessible in February?

Thanks so much that is really helpful! I will also take you up on your tip to visit Daintree. Thanks again

3. Re: Daintree & Cape Trib accessible in February?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 01:16