We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkling trips to outer reefs from Cairns?

Pearl City Hawaii
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkling trips to outer reefs from Cairns?

Okay, friends from trip advisor and Australia friends who live or have visited Cairns and the Great Barrier reef? We need your help? My sister and I will be visiting Cairns in Sept. 2008, and we are looking for a smaller group snorkeling day trip to the outer reefs, that serves food and gives drinks throughout the trip? Please any advice would be greatly appreciated! I know someone out there has the answers for me, so please tell me some ideas out of Cairns. I know Port Douglas has some good ones but we are staying in Cairns! HELP?

Wendy

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkling trips to outer reefs from Cairns?

Hi Wendy

I can recommend SilverSwift out of Cairns. They take 80 passengers max and go to three reef sites.

Other good choices are Passions of Paradise and Ocean Spirit, although they only go to one reef site + a cay (Michaelmas or Upolu).

http://www.silverseries.com.au/swift.htm

http://www.oceanspirit.com.au/

http://www.passions.com.au/

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Pearl City Hawaii
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkling trips to outer reefs from Cairns?

Thanks so much for the info I will look over these sites, if anyone has taken a trip out to the reef on a day trip please let me know info, such as how long, where did it go, how was the snorkling,did they have a good lunch, breakfast and were drinks available at all times? Please help me, someone out there has taken trips to the Great Barrier reef and I need info so please help?

Wendy

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
217 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkling trips to outer reefs from Cairns?

I spoke with someone the other day that was born and raised in Cairns, now residing in the US. He recommended Passions and TUSA as the premium companies. He recommended we spend 2 days on the reef. The tours companies are very different and take you to very different locations.

Drop me a note in April, as we will tell you our opinion.

I see you are from Pearl city. I lived there in the early 80's and was back again last year. My has it changed. I was truly amazed at the differences in Wikiki..

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Pearl City Hawaii
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkling trips to outer reefs from Cairns?

Yes, I live in Pearl City, we are with the military stationed here. We think the island must have once been beautiful, but now Oahu is over ran with traffic, and people. What a shame. To really enjoy time here we go to Kauai. It is the most geniune island here. We hope to hear from you after your trip there and please let us know.

My email address is dprobst@hawaii.rr.com

Keep in touch and I will look for all the updates in April. If you are feeling generous please pack as much info from the visitors center into you suitcase and I will gladly pay to have it sent media mail when you get back to Alabama.

Have a great trip.

Wendy

Budapest
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkling trips to outer reefs from Cairns?

Hi !

I just returned from Cairns 3 days ago. I highly recommend to choose the trip by Qicksilver. It goes out ot he very edge of the outer reef, to the Arlington reef. It is beutiful, being on the pontoon, where you have all the option of snorkelling, diving etc. They provide with excellent food as well ! It costs a little bit more than the other companies offer, but it is really a great value for money. (2 persons for 300 AUD + 5 AUD per person as Environmental Tax).

Have a good trip:

Gabor (from Hungary)

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Budapest
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkling trips to outer reefs from Cairns?

Hi !

I just returned from Cairns 3 days ago. I highly recommend the Quicksilver trip. It takes you out to the very edge of the outer reff, to the Arlington reef. Although it is a bit more expensive than the other companies, but it's a great value for your money. The cost is 300 AUD + 10 AUD environmental charge for 2 persons. Lunch is included, they have got a great pontoon on the sea, where you have all the choices to have a great day, including an excellent lunch.

Have a great trip:

Gabor, (from Hungary)

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Pearl City Hawaii
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkling trips to outer reefs from Cairns?

Wow, Gaber thanks for the update! I love to recieve great ideas and trips people have been on. Thank you so much. Keep the ideas coming!

Wendy

Pearl City Hawaii
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkling trips to outer reefs from Cairns?

Okay, can anyone tell me if you have been on the Port Douglas Wave Length Reef charter day trip to the outer reefs? We would like any info on this as this is just snorkling trip and we heard this is the bomb! Come on fellow travelors give me the low down!

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,914 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkling trips to outer reefs from Cairns?

I agree in all my visits to various parts of the GBR, Wavelength trip was the best.

Pearl City Hawaii
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkling trips to outer reefs from Cairns?

Thanks so much for your updates on the trip on Wave Length Reef trip. keep em coming so I know i have made the right choice!

Thanks!