We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Barrier Reef with Great Adventures - Recommend?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Great Barrier Reef with Great Adventures - Recommend?

I have booked a day at the Great Barrier Reef with Great Adventures, which is also part of the Quicksilver company. There are so many reef tours, I'm getting confused (Reef Encounters operates under a similar name, but appears to be a different company). These guys list their address as P.O. Box 898 Cairns Qld 4870. If anyone can confirm that this company is good, I'd appreciate it (I'm booked for the Green Island/Outer Reef Adventure, $198). thank you for any information!

Passions of Paradise Reef Tour
Day Trips, Scuba & Snorkeling, Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours
Spirit of Cairns
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Bad Fishy Jet Boating
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Speed Boats Tours
gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Barrier Reef with Great Adventures - Recommend?

Hiya

Great Adventures is a large boat, catering mainly to Japanese tourists. There are a number of boats that do the Green Island / Outer Reef experience and in my opinion it's a good mix as you get to put your feet on solid ground for the day and also to experience some great snorkelling. Enjoy your day. :)

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Barrier Reef with Great Adventures - Recommend?

DaisyTravels,

I've just returned from OZ and took a trip to the reef w/Sunlover. The go to Moore Reef where they have a pontoon situated. I really liked their organization. The boat was really big, lots of indoor seating, the food was wonderful and you get 4.5 hours on the reef itself. They also have glass bottom boat tours which are complimentary w/your tour.

I was "told" that Green Island doesn't have good snorkeling, but if visiting an "island" is part of what you are doing, it is nice and close to Cairns.

You really can't go wrong with any of the large named companies. I almost booked w/Great Adventures but Sunlover was offering kids free due to the Easter Break, so it really came down to the $$$. Have fun!

Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
154 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Barrier Reef with Great Adventures - Recommend?

My wife and I have done the GreatAdventure Green Island/Outer reef trip and i would highly recommend it.

the company is good, boat is clean and nice, quite large.

Green Island stopover is great with plenty to do, and the Great Adventures outer reef pontoon at Norman reef is the best i have been to.

far far better than Quicksilver from Port Douglas, who are usually highly recommended.

So i say you have made a great decision, and you will enjoy the day. the snorkelling is fantastic with GA at the outer reef as the corals and fish are so close. i actually had fish 'nibbling' at my backside when i was snorkelling, my wife got a photo!!

Truly a fantastic day, i cannot recommend it highly enough.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Barrier Reef with Great Adventures - Recommend?

Thanks all for your input! I feel more confident now with Great Adventures.

5. Re: Great Barrier Reef with Great Adventures - Recommend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 08:32