We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation in Cairns city or the Beaches

Platis Yialos
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Accommodation in Cairns city or the Beaches

Coming to Cairns at end of July and would like to know if we should stay in Cairns city or at the beaches. We like city life but also love the beach but is it too far from everything then & will we need a car if we stay at the beach.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
1,404 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation in Cairns city or the Beaches

It depends whether you want to hire a car for your trip or not.

If so, I would opt for one of the beaches like Palm Cove or Trinity Beach. Both are lovely with some excellent accommodation available.

If visiting this region it is highly recommended to hire a car as it gives you more flexibility regarding sightseeing. Its easy to drive around with limited traffic and good sealed roads.

If you don't want to hire a car then you are better placed in Cairns or Port Douglas.

Port Douglas is a fab town too with a lovely beach. Its approx one hour drive north of Cairns.

Cairns
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation in Cairns city or the Beaches

You can stay 10 minutes from cairns at Holloways beach, at a B&B Zimzala Retreat.

The buses go to town every hour and you can enjoy the best of both worlds.

Tour operators pick up at the door, and you see much more than if you try to drive yourself everywhere especially if your holidays time is restricted

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation in Cairns city or the Beaches

Sightseeing in Cairns is far easier to do if you hire a car. And then you have the freedom to stay at one of the beaches and come into the city for specific things if you want to.

We always hire a car when we stay in Cairns and it's great because we end up seeing so much more off the beaten track and without the hassle of tour groups.

Here's my GoList for a few ideas on things to do in the area (you will need a car):

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i16655-Great_si…

Platis Yialos
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation in Cairns city or the Beaches

Thanks all for your input, this has helped a lot. We are still trying to decide on which way to go. We may hire a car for a few days if we are out of town and then if we stay in Cairns for the last part of our stay we will do tours and relax in town without the car.

Also looking at doing a reef trip while in Cairns, should I book before I arrive & any suggestions on a good trip.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
36 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation in Cairns city or the Beaches

templc74 - can I ask which car hire company you normally use in Cairns, and why you go with them?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation in Cairns city or the Beaches

MaccLad2010 - we've used Budget and Hertz for car rental up in Cairns. This is purely based on price and/or upgrade availability. We have an Entertainment Book with lots of different vouchers for the four big car rental companies and so we compare them and go with the best offer. I'm not loyal to any of them in particular, I'm always after the best deal.

7. Re: Accommodation in Cairns city or the Beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 04:16