We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pro Dive Cairns

Kirkland, WA
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Pro Dive Cairns

We are trying to plan a liveaboard trip to the outer barrier reef. We are a couple and our two teenage children. Narrowing it down to PRO DIVE Cairns. Can anyone give me feedback about this company? Is the water terribly cold at the end of August?

Chicago
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pro Dive Cairns

I'm also interested in Pro-Dive Cairns. Any opinions/reviews?

Port Douglas
Level Contributor
278 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pro Dive Cairns

Water temps should be around 22 degrees celcius. Pro dive are a good company, probably the pick of the live aboards from Cairns

Kirkland, WA
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pro Dive Cairns

Thank you so much, portprincess, for taking the time to reply to my post! We booked with Pro Dive.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pro Dive Cairns

its a good time to be out on the reef at that time of year. Its not as windy as June or July. And best of all the whales are still all heading north to breed in the warm waters just north of Cairns for the winter. You should be able to see lots of them - mostly humpbacks I think. The ocean temperature right now (mid July) is still 25 degrees so you should be fine at the end of August. And you will have no problems with Pro Dive. They are probably the most experienced reliable operators around.

Boston...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Pro Dive Cairns

Hey, how was your trip? We're thinking of going with Pro Dive in May. How were they?

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pro Dive Cairns

I did my PADI open water licence with Prodive several years ago and it was all good, nice vessel, friendly crew, and great diving sites.

Are you a diver and have you had any live aboard experiences on a diving boat? If yes, enjoy your trip! If not, be ready for a boat that is far less comfortable and stable than a big cruise liner:)

Many 'newbies' feel sea-sick on their first day on such boats, but from the second day all the bad feelings disappear and they enjoy the barrier reef at its best.

The water and the air are a bit cooler at that time of the year, but you'll receive a swimsuit to keep yourself warm when diving and snorkelling.

Have a great trip

-----------------------

www.goldcoastadvice.com

New York
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Pro Dive Cairns

Go for Pro Dive! My husband and I just returned from Australia and spent a 3 day live abroad at the GBR with Pro Dive. They were excellent! We are certified divers but dont get in as much water time as we'd like. The dive master Tristan was fantastic - he helped us feel secure with our equipment and look us on a few dives with just him until our confidence was back - there are some dives as a group with the dive master and later in the trip they let you go alone if you wish. The boat is fairly large and we had a double bed cabin (one of the largest reserved for couples so make sure they know you are!) The food was hearty - with all the diving folks ate huge amounts. We are in our early forties but the other passengers ranged from 16 - 60 with the majority in the mid 20s - 30s (I am sure your teenagers will make friends). The water was warm but they give you 6mm wetsuit to dive in (either shorties or long leg - go with shorty). We dove with the suites but snorkeled in just bathing suits. Captain Mark was delightful and the entire crew was professional and fun. There is a lot of diving (3/4 a day is ambitious but you can sit one out if you need to relax). They were also very concerned about the whereabouts of the divers at all times - on "Open Water" movie situation here. I think there is no better way to see the GBR then on a live aboard - we swam with turtles, sharks and a Minke whale!!! FYI- if you book with http://www.divedirectory.com.au/ it says there will give you 50% off the price (the before price posted on their website is what we paid for the dive though a travel agent). It might be worth considering. Have a great trip - I wish I could go again!!!

8. Re: Pro Dive Cairns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2010, 05:15