We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do on the first day in Carins?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to do on the first day in Carins?

Hello,

I will be traveling to FNQ in Oct. Plan is to stay in Port Douglas for 3 nights and in the tablelands for another 3 night.

I am trying to decide which flight to take to Cairns from Sydney. I first thought that I should get to Cairns as early as possible, but now I am not so sure. I'm presuming that if we land around 10 or 11, we likely won't have time to go on any tours to the GBR or to Daintree. Is there enough to do around Port Douglas to keep ourselves entertained or should we try to get a flight that gets in a little later, like 2 or 3pm?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do on the first day in Carins?

If you are self driving from the airport to Port Douglas you can take it slow. Maybe drive to Botanic Gardens, very close to airport, to get tropical plant atmosphere. Then maybe head to Yorkey Knob boat club and have a snack and refreshment on the deck and get the marina feel !

On to Palm Cove for a walk along the beachside and sit under a coconut tree for a bit to get the tropical beach atmosphere.

The scenic drive along the coast to Port Douglas. Wander around town and maybe visit the seafood place where they feed the gropers or some big fish lol. A little bad on detail afraid ! Just hope they have better prawns than when I was there.

Quick refresh back in room before dinner and you would have had a very enjoyable day!

Mentioned in this post
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Cairns Botanic Gardens
Cairns Botanic Gardens
2,257 Reviews
Cairns, Australia
Palm Cove
Palm Cove
Cairns Region, Australia
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do on the first day in Carins?

As long as you land in Cairns during daylight hours you will be able to enjoy the wonderful drive from Cairns up to Port Douglas - a wonderful coast-hugging road with amazing views of the ocean. It takes about an hour. You will be able to go on all your tours out to the reef to to Daintree from your base in Port Douglas so you don't have to do it all on the day you arrive in Cairns. I would wonder though why you would want to spent 3 nights in the tablelands? Everything there can be accessed on day trips from Port Douglas also. If I were you I would stay 6 nights in Port Douglas. This will give you plenty of time to head out to the reef for amazing snorkelling or diving (and October is probably the best month for it) on sunny calm days or up into the Rainforest or tablelands if its a bit rainy or too hot. If you are in the tablelands, make sure you go on a wildlife spotting trip (or just drive yourself) to the little village of Yungaburra at about 5 o'clock in the afternoon. Just under the bridge you can usually see platypus in the creek. An amazing site even for an Australian because we don't often see them in the wild.

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
3. Re: What to do on the first day in Carins?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 12:22