We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach for swimming and accom in September

Wellington
Level Contributor
622 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Best beach for swimming and accom in September

I'm travelling to Cairns/Port Douglas are in September and looking for advice on the best beach to stay at - not too concerned about location. I'm a keen sea swimmer although more for calm water than surf, and would prefer somewhere where other people swim as I'm also travelling alone. Also keen to hear about quiet accomodation within walking distance of the beach. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Cairns
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beach for swimming and accom in September

Holloways Beach is the first white sandy beach north of cairns, and ZIMZALA Retreat is a great B&B with ocean views,a good stones throw from the beach,

There is a lifeguard at the beach, it is calm and user friendly.

There are 2 restaurants right on the beach and 2 others close by.10 minutes from town.

Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beach for swimming and accom in September

I get the distinct impression that this "queenie"Cairns, could be the owner of Zimzala B&B. Most locals when helping out with accommodation on Tripadvisor do not name B&B's like this. Do your homework!!

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Wellington
Level Contributor
622 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beach for swimming and accom in September

Yes I did wonder.....!

USA
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Best beach for swimming and accom in September

I think you could guarantee that Queenie is the owner of Zimzala B&B. If those are "views" then someone is using different glasses from me.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,733 posts
1,760 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best beach for swimming and accom in September

You do have a few options like,

There is no surf (waves)in Cairns/Port Douglas. The water is relevantly calm most days.

Palm Cove - Trinity Beach is located north of Cairns, just 15 minutes from the airport .

Trinity Beach -Trinity Beach is located north of Cairns, just 15 minutes from the airport.

Kewarra Beach -approximately 20 minutes north of Cairns City.

Four Mile Beach - This is the premier beach of Port Douglas. From the centre of Port Douglas, you can walk to the beach in under 5 minutes.

look on www.wotif.com.au for accommodation around these areas (under cairns). This webpage gives you an excellent overview on what is available for your budget.

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Palm Cove
Palm Cove
Cairns Region, Australia
Trinity Beach
Trinity Beach
963 Reviews
Trinity Beach, Australia
Kewarra Beach Resort & Spa
Kewarra Beach Resort...
1,189 Reviews
Kewarra Beach, Australia
Cairns City Motel
Cairns City Motel
52 Reviews
Cairns, Australia
canterbury
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best beach for swimming and accom in September

So long as you realise Cairns itself does not have a beach - just a man-made 'lagoon' - glorified out-door swimming pool. Plus mud swamps. You have to travel north of city to get beaches, and then just about every beach as far as I have been (PD) is fantastic.

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best beach for swimming and accom in September

Of course Cairns CBD doesn't have a sandy beach, its mudflats are a rich source of food for migratory birdlife and the mangrove channels of Trinity Inlet help nurture the very life which makes the Great Barrier Reef. There was talk once of dumping sand over the harbour front to keep the tourists happy, fortunately commonsense prevailed and the birds and mangroves won.

Cairns lagoon is both stinger and crocodile proof, and isn't a "glorified" swimming pool, its a very large saltwater and safe pool, and free to public.

There are no WHITE sandy beaches between Cairns and Port Douglas, the sand is a yellowish colour and for white silica sand you'd need to go far further north to areas such as Cape Flattery.

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Trinity Beach
Trinity Beach
Cairns Region, Australia
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best beach for swimming and accom in September

My personal faves are Palm Cove, 4 mile at PD and Ellis Beach, which is between PD and Cairns - no shopping etc - but if you like peace and quiet it's really nice. I think there is some accommodation around there. Avoid Holloways and Machans beach like the plague - have a tendency to be muddy, mosquito ridden and under the flight path (the airport is next door) - also to avoid crocs - stay away from creek and river mouths.

Mentioned in this post
Palm Cove
Palm Cove
Cairns Region, Australia
Ellis Beach
Ellis Beach
43 Reviews
Cairns Region, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
9. Re: Best beach for swimming and accom in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 11:22