We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - 2 day trip in August

Detroit
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Help - 2 day trip in August

I really need some help. We are working in Melbourne for 2 weeks in August (as in 2 weeks) and looking to visit Queensland for a very short weekend trip (friday night to sunday night).

We would arrive very late on Friday night and don't want a very long drive from the airport or renting a car. Basically, looking for a nice hotel by the beach, possibly a trip to the GBR (is it going to be too cold in August?) and seeing some other local attractions.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Is Cairns the best place or should we look into other locations? Any hotel and activity recommendations?

Also, besides, Qantas, Virgin Blue and Tiger Airlines, do any other airlines fly Melbourne to Cairns?

Thank you!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help - 2 day trip in August

If it's just for two days and you're going to spend one of them out on the reef anyway, then why not just stay in Cairns city for the two nights? The airport is only 10 minutes away by taxi so it's very convenient.

My favourite hotels are the Sofitel and the Cairns International. Check out www.wotif.com for last minute deals as you may be able to find some other great options.

And to answer your other question, no, you should be fine to go out on the reef in August. I've been out in June/July and it hasn't been cold.

Jetstar flys to Cairns as well as the others you mentioned. We generally fly Virgin or QANTAS, Virgin being our first preference from Brisbane.

I've posted my Cairns GoList below for some other ideas of what to do in the area:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i16655-Great_si…

2. Re: Help - 2 day trip in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 16:20