We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queensland in January

Manchester
1 post
Save Topic
Queensland in January

Hi

We are visiting Austrailia for the first time in Dec / Jan.

Have arranged to stay in Sydney for New Year but then we have a further week (4th - 11th Jan) which we intended to visit Queensland - visit the reef, see some sites & generally chill out. Port Douglas looked a nice place to stay but we are a little put off by the weather at this time of year.

Does it rain for prolonged periods or just short bursts?

Any advise on alternative resorts further south & not so affected by the rains?

Thanks

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Queensland in January

I thought you'd be used to the rain coming from Manchester!

It does rain in North Queensland an awful lot during the wet season, but February and March are usually worse for weather. It rains in all sorts of bursts, short and long. The Bureau of Meterology reckon that 15 out of 30 days in Port Douglas are generally rainy in January.

You can go further south with less risk of rain, but I think the reef is best around Port Douglas. Also, there's every chance it might rain more where you are. I think your best bet is to get there and then find out the forecast for the next 3 days and book your reef trip accordingly. It will be a busy time of year so you may have to look around a bit.

Sydney
Level Contributor
361 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Queensland in January

.... and the rain at that time of year is really liquid sunshine. Having been brought up partly in Singapore, I really enjoy that climate and have no problem with the rain. As noted, the rain really is very variable, and when it isn't actually pouring it is as pleasant as always, although perhaps a little moist for some tastes.

It has never put us off, anyway. Even in Feb which is about the worst time.

R.I.
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Queensland in January

Hi,

I was wondering if I take a trip to austrailia in september ,what the weather would be like? and if I sould or souldn't go at that time of year?

Thank-you

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Queensland in January

September is really fantastic, but temperatures will vary according to where you go.

Have a look at the Bureau's site:

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/

Click on the State you wish to visit, then find the city/town closest to where you're going.

It will give you temperature and rainfall averages.

Sydney
Level Contributor
361 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Queensland in January

I think it's the best time of year. In Sydney it is generally pretty dry and can be quite warm. There is still skiiable snow on the Snowy Mountains in early September, and up around the reef it is getting quite warm and is still pre-stinger season.

Fantastic. And there's a school holiday for three weeks in September so we can enjoy it. Ahhh, that's the catch - the only downside is the extra pressure on hotel rooms due to the holiday.