We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire - Cool Cars - Convertible / Jeep etc

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
224 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire - Cool Cars - Convertible / Jeep etc

Hi,

I am looking to hire a car in Cairns next year Feb. I am keen for a "cool" car. Something like a Jeep Wrangler or open top of some sort.

Two questions:

1. Can anyone suggest a good rental agent.

2. Is that just a stupid idea in FNQ in February? Is it going to be way too wet?

Thanks

Richard

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
224 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire - Cool Cars - Convertible / Jeep etc

Anyone?

Thailand
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire - Cool Cars - Convertible / Jeep etc

Hi capsbayrich,

My wife and i just returned from 7 days in Cairns, we rented a grovey Holden Astra convertable from cruising car rentals. The team there were very friendly and gave us free pickup and drop off at the airport. It rained a couple of times but it only took a couple of minitues to tarp up. There number is 074041666. Hope i have been some help.

regards,

Labs.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
345 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire - Cool Cars - Convertible / Jeep etc

Well if you don't get wet you will get sunstroke! February is very hot and humid here - the locals don't drive around in open roof cars that time of year for good reason.

I would stick with the larger commercial car hire agents in town - they all have listings.

The Holden Astra convertables are very popular and yes the roof is quite quick to put up if you it starts to rain.

Jacinta

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire - Cool Cars - Convertible / Jeep etc

I remember an ad up there in the Yellow Pages for a company called "Sports Car Rentals" or something simliar. They had very cool cars, like old Mustangs and new Madza MX-5s and stuff. Perhaps someone up in Cairns can double-check their copy of the Yellow Pages and see if I was dreaming?

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire - Cool Cars - Convertible / Jeep etc

Ah, found this website here:

http://www.scronline.com.au/cairns.htm

Duck Key, Florida
Level Contributor
120 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire - Cool Cars - Convertible / Jeep etc

G'Day camps...

Much as I would strongly advise against renting a convertible at the peak of our Summer/Wet season, the below addys may help you make a call on a car of choice :

Mixed reports about Billabong, although I've never had a problem either time I have used them.

www.billabongrentals.com.au/sportsfleet.php

If you get a Wrangler or the like, you'll probably feel a bit better about driving on some of the roads here in the wet as well.

www.touristaustralia.com.au/online/tao.cgi…

...but for an extra $26 p/day, you can upgrade to something more safety focussed, and with a bit of class about it.

www.touristaustralia.com.au/online/tao.cgi…

Anyway, it gives you an idea, and good luck with it all.

Cheers,

Rick

Cairns, OZ

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
224 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire - Cool Cars - Convertible / Jeep etc

Thanks for the input guys!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire - Cool Cars - Convertible / Jeep etc

Don't forget that the UV index will be extreme. Not worth getting burned in a 'cool car'. I'm sure you would also appreciate air con in the heat and humidity.

9. Re: Car Hire - Cool Cars - Convertible / Jeep etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 14:17