We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Douglas or Cairns

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Port Douglas or Cairns

Going to the Cairns area in march was wondering should i stay in Cairns or Port Douglas area?

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
594 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Douglas or Cairns

I would recommend Cairns.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Douglas or Cairns

It really depends on what you plan to do while you're up there.

I personally prefer Cairns to Port Douglas. However, you have more reef boat options from PD and if you are intending to head up to Cape Trib or out to Mossman Gorge then these are both closer to PD than Cairns. If you want to do skyrail and kuranda then Cairns is the better location for that.

You could also split your time between the two places but as I said to begin with, it all depends on what activities you're going to be doing while you're in the region.

If you can give us some idea of what you hope to do then perhaps we can give you more helpful advice on which place will be better suited to your needs.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
345 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Douglas or Cairns

this query is raised regularly - refer attached synopsis

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255069-c54108/Cairns…

what are your interests while on holiday?

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port Douglas or Cairns

We definately want to do the Barier Reef. We would also like to visit cape tribulation as our daughter worked there while travelling. Do you recommend visiting daintree and Karunda? would we be advised to split our stay?

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
345 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Port Douglas or Cairns

Well if you go to Cape Trib you will in the middle of the Daintree World Heritage area so that is two birds with one stone. Either a day trip from PD (if that is what you choose) or an overnight.

Kuranda the town is a bit "meh" these days but the Skyrail/Kuranda Train trip is good.

Are you going to hire a car or are you going to use transfers and tour companies?

sydney
Level Contributor
659 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Port Douglas or Cairns

I personally prefer PD. I find Cairns overly touristy but that may be just what you want. Actually I really like staying somewhere between the two on the beach. This requires having a car and the ability to entertain yourself at night so it's not for everyone.

There's nothing wrong with either Cairns or PD it's just a personal preference so take note of the differences between the two and make your decision.

Since your daughter worked in the area she is probably the best person to advise you on what you would like. After all she knows you as well as the region.

Cheers,

WM

singapore
Level Contributor
293 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Port Douglas or Cairns

It really depends.. Cairns touristy n crowded n has more shopping n facilities n tour desks while PD is nice n quiet n tranquil with a supermarket a few tour desks n some good old restuarants..

For convenience sake i prefer Cairns coz there's more stuff to do.. there's more bars n malls n more crowds..

However if u r a serious diver/snokeller.. tink PD has better GBR options...

Kuranda did not wow me so i tink u can skip it...

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Port Douglas or Cairns

Your daughter is best to advise. My mother hates Port Douglas, my sister adores the place. So families usually know.

Cairns is a small regional city so has business, industry, ports and tourism dominates around the wharf area downtown. So very much a mish mash. Port Douglas is pure tourism but it is done fairly well. Cairns has a population of 140,000 compared to port about 8,000 most being tourists. Cairns has northern beach areas that cater to resort seekers. Palm Cove is a beautiful resort area. Trinity Beach is a great spot. Or you can stay is the hinterland areas which is my favourite as I am rainforest nut.

An advantge of Port, being small is that you can walk to everywhere. Cairns is spread out so driving is good to get about. Lot more to do in cairns but not necessarily promoted to tourists as sufficient resident population to fill up the entertainment that that does come to town.

Before living here my favourite times where getting away from both though enjoyed staying at both. Memories from nice resorts are short lived for me. The memories are from when I got a little outside my comfort zone.

Consider a stay on the southern tablelands. Know green rolling hills are not as novel for English as they are for Australians but seeing a lush green landscape where coffee, tea, mangos and bananas are grown may be a difference for you. So much less humid up there as well.

March is wet season so may even be best to have plan A , B and C !

How long do you have?

9. Re: Port Douglas or Cairns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 10:26