We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairns in August

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
86 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Cairns in August

Hi there-

My husband and I will be traveling to Cairns in August to do some diving. I was just wondering what to expect weather wise for August in this area. It seems like no matter where we go on earth no matter what time of year the rain follows us! While some rain would be fine, we'd like to plan it so that we aren't going during monsoon season (think Costa Rica in September!Been there done that!) Thanks so much!!

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairns in August

I'm happy to report that August (being winter in Australia) is the month with the least rainfall historically in Cairns. Temperatures usually range from a low of 17.4C (63F) to a high of 26.5C (80F).

You have a good chance of being rain free, but anything can happen!

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairns in August

Dry season, meant little this past year lol but can be windy conditions on the reef, so take ginger tablets.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
840 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairns in August

Hi,

Can only agree with the info you have been given, but I can relate to your story - rain often follows us when we go to places that are supposed to be "dry". Always have to have Plan A and Plan B depending on the weather. We find August in Cairns usually dry, often windy and sometimes unexpectedly cool (especially at night). Personally we find it too cool for swimming but very pleasant for sleeping.

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
86 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairns in August

Wonderful!

Yes my husband and I have learned that we always have to be prepared for rain and we always make the best of it. Lets just hope if it is raining its less and not more, hee-hee... Thank you so much!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
409 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cairns in August

I'm going to Cairns in August too so please don't go if you're gonna bring the rain with you. Just kidding haha. Hope you enjoy your trip! :)

6. Re: Cairns in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2009, 07:43