We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary 4 days Tropical North Queensland

Groningen...
Level Contributor
657 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Help with itinerary 4 days Tropical North Queensland

Hi everybody,

We will fly into Cairns end of October 2009 for 6 days, the first two of which we will spend on an overnight tour to Cape Tribulation. The first day of the tour is spent in Daintree NP, the second day we will do a boattrip to the reef with the Rum Runner.

I'm looking for advice for an itinerary for the remaining 4 days we have in the area. What is not to be mist, what should we see, what are fun activities in the area, where should we stay etc.? I should add, we will have a rental car for the whole 4 days, we love nature and activities in natural surroundings as hiking, snorkeling etc. We are also interested in the culture of the aboriginal people as well as history in general.

All tips are welcome!Thank you!

Greetz,

Franziska

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with itinerary 4 days Tropical North Queensland

Ahhh, it's such a beautiful area and with a rental car you'll be able to see a lot.

If you're already going out on the reef for a day trip are you likely to want to go out again? The Rum Runner goes to the Mackay or Undine reef. So, if you're keen snorkellers, you could find a boat that visits a different reef (e.g. Silversonic to Agincourt reef; Wavelength to Opal Reef, Tongue Reef and St Crispin; etc) or head out to the Low Isles.

Even though you'll be spending time in Cape Trib I still think it's worth doing the Kuranda Skyrail, so you can see the rainforest from above. http://www.skyrail.com.au/

I've also included my GoList: tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i16655-Great_si…

With a car you'll be able to visit places like Mossman Gorge, Babinda Boulders, Josephine Falls and then head up to the Atherton Tablelands for the waterfall circuit and crater lakes.

With your remaining nights I'd probably split the time between Port Douglas and Cairns. Port Douglas is a good place to stay if you're going to head out to the reef again. It's also easy to get to Mossman Gorge and up to the Tablelands via Mt Molloy.

Cairns provides easier access to Babinda and Josephine Falls which are down towards Innisfail.

You may even like to spend a night on the Tablelands and have a bit more time up there exploring - there's heaps to see and plenty of walks. It's also much cooler on the Tablelands then down by the coast. By end of October it's getting hot in Cairns so you may find a couple of days on the Tablelands a welcome relief.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with itinerary 4 days Tropical North Queensland

Rock art sites plus indigenous culture. Must do imo

http://www.guurrbitours.com/

Also Walker family very well regarded for indigenous tours.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,315 posts
1,484 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with itinerary 4 days Tropical North Queensland

What fabulous advice already given, there is nothing more to add than if you have some extra time then head down south to Mission Beach.

I do hope the weather is kind to you and enjoy your holiday in Australia. ♪ ♪ ♪

Groningen...
Level Contributor
657 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with itinerary 4 days Tropical North Queensland

Thanks a lot everyone for the excellent advice.

I will certainly have a look at the tings on your GoList templc74 and write down everything that seems interesting to us. Thank you for the tip of staying the night in the tablelands as a relief from the hot weather at the coast. We will certainly follow that piece of advice.

Thanks for your link verdant. I had a look at the site and these tours look very promissing. If we can make it to Cooktown, we will certainly consider doing one of these tours.

We will also have a closer look at the sights further south around Mission Beach. Thanks for the tip Ellemay. Are there any particular sights, activities or tours we shouldn't miss in this area?

Thanks again everyone and further tips are of course always welcome.

Cheers,

Franziska

Groningen...
Level Contributor
657 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with itinerary 4 days Tropical North Queensland

Hi templc74,

I have a few more questions for you and all the other local experts.

The first one is about Barron Gorge NP and Barron Falls. From the sites of Skyrail and Kuranda Scenic Railway I understand you can get there by train / cablecar. But is it also possible to get there by car and do some short walks from a parkinglot?

The second one is about all the waterfalls in the area: Are they still flowing end of October or have they mostly dried up by then?

And last but not least: Can most of the sights on your GoList be reached with a normal 2WD rental car or is a 4WD required? Our rental car is a 2WD and we are not allowed to drive on non-sealed roads.

Hope you won't find my questions too annoying.

Thanks,

Franziska

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with itinerary 4 days Tropical North Queensland

You can indeed get to Barron Gorge NP and the falls via Kuranda by car and a short walk, please see the EPA link below for how to get there: www.epa.qld.gov.au/projects/park/index.cgi…

There's also longer walks in the lower NP section (below the falls) accessible via Kamerunga. This is also where you head to if you go white water rafting on the Barron River, which I highly recommend for a couple of hours of fun.

I can't answer your question about how well the falls will be flowing at the end of October - I've only seen the falls in winter (June/July http://www.tripadvisor.com/MemberPhotos-a_uid.6934323-w1#18544858) and summer (February http://www.tripadvisor.com/MemberPhotos-a_uid.6934323-w1#18544859) - and it depends on how much rain the area is getting at that time.

Finally, all the sites on my GoList are accessible with a 2WD vehicle. The roads are sealed the whole way.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with itinerary 4 days Tropical North Queensland

The links to my photos of Barron Gorge falls didn't work. But they are in my profile if you want to take a look. Both are taken from the lookout at the upper section of Barron Gorge NP, one in the dry season and one in the wet.

Groningen...
Level Contributor
657 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with itinerary 4 days Tropical North Queensland

Thank you for the additional information templc74! I really enjoyed watching your photographs too. They make me wish I would not have to wait till september for our departure to Australia. I'm really looking forward to this trip!

9. Re: Help with itinerary 4 days Tropical North Queensland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 08:22