We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chillagoe Drive

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Chillagoe Drive

Hello,

My Husband and I are going to be traveling to Queensland for 2 weeks in September/October. Durring our stay we plan to drive from Cairns to Chillagoe. We will be renting a 4WD vehicle. Just wondering what the road conditions are like. I've noticed that some rental companies will not allow this drive, is the road dangerous? Also is there a refueling station allong the way, we plan to do some driving around town and hope to not run out of fuel :)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chillagoe Drive

Road is fine, some wandering cattle around Almaden and there's about 15km of unsealed dirt which is kept graded, and as you're coming in dry season should not be a problem.

I'd check with a local rental company about whether they allow conventional vehicles to Chillagoe, speak to the people at Sugarland in Cairns - www.sugarland.com.au

As far as fuel is concerned, there's a servo at tiny Dimbulah. But Chillagoe is only 90 mins from Mareeba, quite a decent size town where fuel would be at better price.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chillagoe Drive

Agree with Galah, Very good unsealed road and not too much of it. Less than 20km. Easy with a 2wd imo.

Talking of fuel, there is a great photo op..next fuel sign out of Chillagoe. So fine to get there as far as fuel goes but if going further west would take a supply.

Nice little link

overlander.com.au/destinations/…-North-Qld

Also visit Tom Price for a refuel and see his unofficial ford museum.

South Gippsland...
Level Contributor
30 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chillagoe Drive

We drove to Chillagoe in a small 4 cylinder Toyota! Car coped with it no problems. The locals all seem to drive 4WD utes, possibly because of all the contented cows which share the highway.

4. Re: Chillagoe Drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 04:18