We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thank you

phoenix
Level Contributor
631 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Thank you

We just returned from the vacation of a life time!

Wanted to say thank you to all of you who tolerated the many questions we posted. Thank you again. We loved it!!! Our trip was better planned because of those of you who answered our questions.

Here is our trip report:

http://www.rhodesaz.com/AU-09/australia.htm

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thank you

So glad to see you a good time and I know I speak on behalf of everyone when I say how pleasing it is to get some feedback.

You trip report is very good - some great photos too.

( I must be honest & say how funny some of the obeservation are. Most of the houses in Cairns are made of wood and most people constantly complain about the bugs ! Sounds like you got Brisbane in the middle of the February heatwave too - its not always like that, truly . If it makes you feel any better we are having another one - today !)

Cheers

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,114 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thank you

Great feedback.

Which metro apartments did you stay in?

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thank you

Thanks for the great report and am jealous sick of the 7 day SOF trip.

You're right in saying that there's not too many timber buildings in Cairns city left, recently the Cairns Yacht Club was demolished (to the rage of many locals), to make way for yet another concrete shocker. But you don't have to go far out of Cairns city to see the old Queenslander homes - I live in one and its all timber, the termites love it! And insects galore, in fact I can see a 10" stick insect outside the door as I type. Geckoes and green tree frogs, too.

Sorry about the rain, but you wouldn't have seen the Barron Falls pumping like that in the dry season when it can just be a trickle.

phoenix
Level Contributor
631 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thank you

We spent 3 nights at the Metro Apartments on Darling Harbor 132-136 Sussex Street.

It was great and I would recommend them.

The cost was $101 AU per night

phoenix
Level Contributor
631 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thank you

The rain was not a big problem. We just found it funny that when we walked home from the restaurant at night it would rain. We knew it was the rainy season. And the Barron Falls were full and running hard!!

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,114 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thank you

Did you book with them direct?

phoenix
Level Contributor
631 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thank you

No we booked all our room reservation through QR Travel Center

Traveltrain Reservations

RESTRAV@qr.com.au

These are the same people you can book any of the railroad trains. Here is their web address

http://www.qr.com.au/

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thank you

Another slightly jealous of your SOF trip.

Rum drinks lol. Well maybe who you meet.hee

Gangs fighting for conrol. good heavens, sounds like Melbourne.

Great to hear about your adventure and am so pleased you found your way to the prime dive locations in the GBR.

Does look like you got a great little place in Sydney, may keep a note myself. Heading down there soon.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Thank you

WOW! What an unbelievable post! It was a pleasure being able to live through your vacation. You should either go into photography or become a vacation destination writer.

I took my wife to Sydney for her 40 10 birthday. (My wife will not say the “f” word) :-) It was the two of us and two of our dear friends. We spent ten days in Sydney. We had a blast, and what a world class city! Then year before last we went back with our two sons, they were 19 and 21 years old. We traveled all over Australia. Sydney, Ayers Rock, Cairns, Port Douglas, Brisbane and we spent a week in New Zealand before coming home. It was the vacation of a life time! I sure wish I had spent the time to post our adventures on TA as you did.

My wife is a school teacher and we are thinking about going to Australia for a year and doing a teacher exchange program starting in January 2010.

Sorry about the long note, but “Thank You” again for your great post!

Tack care,

Larry from Colorado

P. S. One thing that was funny when I was in Australia is that when I would tell and Australian I was from Denver, Colorado they did not know where Denver was in the US. Of course, that is no different from me not knowing where most of the towns are in the middle of Australia. :-)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thank you

Dont worry Larry, lots of us do know where Colorado is. We were raised on John Denver after all. LOL.