We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Cairns in heavy rain now?

HK
3 posts
Save Topic
Is Cairns in heavy rain now?

I am going there 10 days later and I wish to do the followings:

hot air balloon

intro diving

skydive

rafting

others(like rainforest)

So do you think I need to book them in advance before going? I am afraid the rain will ruin all of the above!!

If it rains, what can I do there?

Thanks!!

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Cairns in heavy rain now?

We had very heavy rain January to early February but not much since. The weather has been glorious last month or so.

If it does rain should not stop you doing anything except maybe the skydive. Cannot see that we would have monsoonal type rain again, season as passed. Never can be 100% sure but say chances of good weather are very, very high.

HK
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Cairns in heavy rain now?

Thanks. I know Queensland is sufferd from flooding , seems cairns is just mildly affected:

Anyway, there is risk that it will be in heavy rain:

weather.com/outlook/…

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Cairns in heavy rain now?

You're not confusing Cairns in Far North Queensland with Sunshine Coast in SE Queensland are you? Very heavy rain there, but its about 1,500km south of Cairns.

Can only reiterate verdant's comments, weather here now is perfect for all activities you've mentioned and has been for weeks. We should be out of wet season by now, it certainly looks that way, but you never know.

Wait until you arrive before you book your trips, its not a busy time of year.

HK
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Cairns in heavy rain now?

Thanks a lot! I think I will book most trips when arrived.

Because I am consider the following hot air balloon + rafting + skydiving, do you think it is a good deal?

hotair.com.au/articles/…Page2.html

As a reply told me skydive may not be available if it rains... I wonder if such kind of deal be easily found in Cairns after arrival? thanks.

Port Lincoln
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Cairns in heavy rain now?

Hot Air deal is good value & a reputable company.

I have flown with them twice & the flight, service & breakfast was excellent.

Rafting is fun but have not skydived.

Enjoy your stay & the weather!

6. Re: Is Cairns in heavy rain now?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 April 2009, 03:50
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Cairns in heavy rain now?

oooops been raining a lot, did not touch wood when declaring end of wet season. Hang up hat on weather forecasting :)

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Cairns in heavy rain now?

Yes, as usual, rained over Easter. Although was at Palm Cove last night and not a drop, full moon over sea and quite a balmy evening.

Cairns
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Cairns in heavy rain now?

As someone who lives in Cairns and understands our weather, you should not delay your plans to visit Cairns.

As someone else said, the flooding shown in the media is over the last week is about 100 km from Brisbane, but is 1500 km away from Cairns. Queensland is the second largest state in Australia

We are having light showers here occasionally, but mostly at night, and it's just enough to keep everything green.

Cairns
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Cairns in heavy rain now?

As someone who lives in Cairns and understands our weather, you should not delay your plans to visit Cairns.

We are having light showers here occasionally, but mostly at night, and it's just enough to keep everything green.

As someone else said, the flooding shown in the media is over the last week is 1500 km away from Cairns but is only about 100 km from Brisbane. Queensland is the second largest state in Australia