We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New attractions

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
New attractions

Have not been to either, will let you know when I try them my thoughts.

Farmgate Market = Saturday mornings at The Pier Marketplace. First day will be 18th April so very new, not even started lol. Not sure how many tourists are interested in produce when they want a holiday from cooking but if done well may showcase the remarkable diversity of the crops grown in the region. A real food bowl.

nsda.org.au/website/general/cairns-local-foo…

Herberton Historic Village - May be of interest to those touring the area as someways from Cairns. Bit of history to add to nature adventures.

http://www.herbertonhistoricvillage.com.au/

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,937 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New attractions

Looks interesting Verdant and thanks for the information. It may become another Eumundi Markets !

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New attractions

Hope it does prove successful, seems strange they send the produce down south for it to be transported back up for supermarkets!

Can be a nice day by the esplanade on a Saturday, with loads of families and visitors relaxing by the pool, the small market and the local music acts. Now another to do. Is good for travellers that have time for a day off from sightseeing.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New attractions

The produce comment reminds me of my uncle with a cut flower biz in central California. He sends flowers to a wholesaler, who ships them to China where they are cut, arranged, wrapped in cellophane and tissue, labeled, and shipped worldwide for sale as bouquets. He was in a supermarket 5 miles from his greenhouses, and recognized his flowers...they had traveled a net 5 miles via China!

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New attractions

Will be interesting to check it out verdant, I think tourists will be interested, especially for fruit and produce which needs no preparation or cooking. Was talking to a visitor from California the other day who was most impressed at 5 high quality Tableland-grown avocadoes for $2 at Rusty's. And many tourists are fascinated with produce such as dragon fruit, rambutan, mangosteen, custard apple,etc, in season at Rusty's Market now.

Nice to see the Herberton Historic Village re-opened, went there a couple of times before it closed, a remarkable collection of old Australiana and a good reason for more tourists to visit this part of Tableland.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New attractions

Well I forgot to go!! and will be away next two weekends, so Galah if you have been in the meantime would love to hear about it. May need a settle in period.

Herbeton has a great start it seems, 2000 people visited in the first week or two. I read they are turning over coffee/tea providing to local charities to run so the local communtiy can benefit. Good one (thumbs up).

I found another new attraction, from wesbite appears opening in staggered over next two months.

The Australian muster experience, near Port Douglas.

australianmusterexperience.com/Home.9.0.html

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New attractions

I nearly forgot too, verdant. Didn't get there until 10.00am and it was chockers, parking station full, traffic backed up to Abbott St and finally found a park about 40 mins later down near Grafton St PO.

So hardly anything left when I finally staggered in, I bought two vanilla beans and that was it! Tried to get one lone remaining bag of rambutans but it was 3 deep at counter so gave up and went to Rusty's.

Will give it another go in a few weeks to see if it settles down, but from what I saw there very little not available in abundance at Rusty's, where most of the stalls I use sell locally grown produce anyway.

Good news about Herberton Historic Village's attendances, did you see that the Old Convent in Herberton burnt down? Not long after it was sold!

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New attractions

oops, that's the Old Convent (used to be a B&B) in Ravenshoe, not Herberton.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New attractions

Most food gone by 10.00am, lol I will never get there !

Rusty's more practical if you want to cook tonight but as they say 80% not local so nice to have a showcase of local produce. Read they were selling jewellery which annoyed a little, they have the outdoor market for that. If it turns into yet another knick knack market would be a shame.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New attractions

Verdant, there's a few comments on this today on www.cairns.com.au and I think every kid in Cairns was there last Sat.

Yes, there was some jewellery and clothing which I suppose was local, I walked back to Rusty's via the tourist market near the lagoon and it was practically empty.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New attractions

Yes also read Uproar re the tourism levy.

Cairns red with anger.

Think when you see the thousands flock to market next to tourism outrage clear as day there is support for TRUE local industry.