We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In which order should I take inner and outer reef trips?

Malta
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
In which order should I take inner and outer reef trips?

Hi friends,

I was wondering, if I were to take more than one reef trip during my stay in the area, if it's a good idea to do one outer reef and one inner (low islands) reef trip and in which order to do them.

I often read on this forum the outer reef is more spectacular and recommended if one has to choose between one.

But should I do both what is your opinion regarding the order?

Will it be advisable to have the first contact with the reef as dramatic as possible and so take the outer reef first and then relax on one of the sandy keys on the next?

Or will it be better (more fun) to experience an escalation, starting from average/good to really spectacular?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,833 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In which order should I take inner and outer reef trips?

I'd more likely do the inner reef first if only because you get to see how you cop with the boat trip!

After countless trips you can't be sure what factors will give you "wow" my big wow last trip was literally watching some clown anenome fish hatch right before my eyes...this was in a relatively sandy spot on a fringing reef which otherwise would have just been another snorkel...

If you think you might end up doing only 1 trip, do the outer reef first... weather may determine what you do..

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In which order should I take inner and outer reef trips?

I agree with doing the inner trip first. Get yourself accustomed to the boats and snorkelling and see how you do. Then on your trip to the outer reef you'll be a pro.

Have fun!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,572 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In which order should I take inner and outer reef trips?

I've heard that snorlelling around islands close to Cairns is very good.

4. Re: In which order should I take inner and outer reef trips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 06:24