We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VB or 4X - that is the question

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MidAmerica
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
VB or 4X - that is the question

What is your favorite? Or is there another brand you prefer?

Do they sell 12 packs/cases down there? If so, what is the price.

While on the subject of spirits, does Oz customs allow a bloke to bring 1 liter of spirits in duty free?

Thanks.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VB or 4X - that is the question

geez, dont start the big beer debate! LOL

2.25L is your duty free allowance.

btw, cascade is the best beer in australia!

MidAmerica
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: VB or 4X - that is the question

WOW, thanks lien! You can only bring 1 liter in here duty free, that is freat to know.

If I bring some 12 year old bourbon with me, think I'd find someone to share a drink with?

What other spirits are popular down there? If you can bring 2.25 liters, I might bring 1 liter of regular, and 1 liter of 12 year old Wild Turkey to enjoy alongside your great aussie beers.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

MidAmerica
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: VB or 4X - that is the question

I meant to type great in the last post. Is there no edit feature here? It is terrible having poor typing skills.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VB or 4X - that is the question

u will get about every spirit known to man down here.

i should have added beer on average is around $40 for 24 cans/stubbies.

dont be fooled by the title "lite". this generally means low alcohol not low carb and as a result this type of beer is cheaper.

and i should say that u shouldn't worry which beer u drink. all australian beer is better than what u get in the usa altho MGD almost comes up to the mark ;-)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VB or 4X - that is the question

G'day mate

Well you are really going to start a beer war here.

Well my favourites are XXXX Gold, VB and Tooheys OLD in no particular order.

You will find many good beers to try, some of the small boutique breweries are coming up with some very fine beers.

If you come to Brisbane,I will shout you a coldie!

MidAmerica
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: VB or 4X - that is the question

I'd love to join ya for a coldie surfoz, but our short time in Oz does not give us the luxury for a trip to Brisbane.

Thanks for the tip on Tooheys OLD, I didn't try that one on my last visit and will add it to my list.

IMHO lien, all US beer tastes like water unless you fo with a microbrew. [URL="http://www.blvdbeer.com/unfilteredwheat.htm"]THIS[/URL] is my brew of choice at home (I hope URL parsing works here since I can't edit).

You blokes are proud of your beer, the mass produced stuff here like Bud, Miller, Coors, is only about $20 AUD here (15 USD) for a case, but it does taste like water ...

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: VB or 4X - that is the question

My advice? when you arrive and have time - as a beer lover - allow yourself an afternoon and find a pub which sells a range of beers - do the taste test and work out which one works for you! I love our cold filtered beers personally!

A good selection of best aussie beers would be

NSW - Tooheys (either Extra Dry cold filtered or gold)

VIC - Carlton Draught, VB - (NOT fosters!)

QLD - 4X

TAS - Cascade

SA - Coopers Pale Ale (NOT west end!)

WA - Swan?

Not a beer expert so people in other states can also offer their lists of MUST TRY beer - plus there are many "boutique" beers such as James Squier etc around to confuse the issue even more!

As a South Aussie I love Coopers but also love TED's (tooheys Extra Dry!) also try Carlton Cold if you tend to like the cold filtered ones. Half the fun is in the tasting and everyone will give you a different opinion! Enjoy!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: VB or 4X - that is the question

My favourite Aussie beer is a boutique one. If you can find it (it's not available everywhere) try Knappstein Reserve Lager. It's sold at some bottle shops (First Choice) in packs of four.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: VB or 4X - that is the question

depending on where you are flying into and what you intend bringing, you may be able to buy your duty-free on entry into australia before you clear customs

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: VB or 4X - that is the question

Over here in WA we have heaps of micro breweries. Amongst the best of them is Little Creatures which is now selling around the world. It also has "Rogers" as one of it's lables so keep an eye out for them.

Rum in particular Bunbaderg or Bundy as most aussie call it is made in Queensland.

Maybe some of the locals up ther can also point you in the direction of some micro breweries where you can go and have a beer.

cheers

HP