We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Douglas Beaches to Tablelands - ??

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hartford...
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Port Douglas Beaches to Tablelands - ??

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping you maybe able to offer some advice for an upcoming trip (June 09) to Cairns. We will be in Cairns for 3 & 1/2 days. We are planning on driving up to Port Douglas to enjoy the beach and the beautiful drive up.

We would also like to see the Tablelands area too. Is it realistic to do both on the same day? We are travlers who don't like to be overly schedule, but do wish to experience what is available.

My thought was to arrive in the Tablelands area late in the afternoon / early evening. But it seems that a lot of the attractions close up early, so that may only leave just having dinner in the area and watching the sunset.

If its possible to do both and suggestions for the Tablelands area would be very helpful. Thanks for your advice and input. Have a great day!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
822 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Douglas Beaches to Tablelands - ??

Hi JJ,

My opinion is that you wouldn't do justice to either region trying to see them on the same day. They are both wonderful areas - just pick one and actually see some of it instead of just passing through. One thought to keep in mind also, is that the roads (both from Port Douglas and down from the Tablelands) are quite windy and need careful driving, especially at night. Have a great time, the weather in Cairns at the moment is really beautiful!

Hartford...
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Douglas Beaches to Tablelands - ??

Thank you Helpfiji,

After we discussed it some more we agreed that it would be best to limited ourselves to seeing the Port Douglas area and take our time to enjoy the beauty of the area.

Thanks again.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Douglas Beaches to Tablelands - ??

I totally agree with Helpfiji. It's one or the other because trying to cram both into one day would mean you wouldn't get to the make the most of either of them.

While you're in the Port Douglas area be sure to head out to Mossman Gorge and do one of the short walks through the rainforest. Mossman Gorge is only 20 minutes from PD and is absolutely stunning.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port Douglas Beaches to Tablelands - ??

Thank you Templc74,

We are looking forward to our part of the trip up to Cairns. I looked up Mossman Gorge and yes I agree its not to be missed.

I was wondering about the beaches in PD? Specifically Four Mile beach, is there parking lots and public access to beaches? Up at Cape Cod, MA while the beaches are open to the public - parking is another matter.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Port Douglas Beaches to Tablelands - ??

You should be able to find some street parking and walk down to the beach (it's not that far from the central cafe strip of PD).

And I see you're from Beacon Falls in Connecticut. I have spent a lot of time in Connecticut over the years as my aunt lives in Litchfield CT. Pretty, pretty place.

I hope you have a great time in Cairns surrounds!

6. Re: Port Douglas Beaches to Tablelands - ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2009, 06:18