We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic Railway and Skyrail to Kuranda

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
91 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic Railway and Skyrail to Kuranda

Has anyone done been on the sceneic Railway and Skyrail?

Is this worth a trip?

Which is the best way round to do it? Railway first then back on skyrail? or the other way round.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic Railway and Skyrail to Kuranda

I have done this twice and while I loved the Skyrail trip, the ride on the "scenic" railway was not that fun. On both trips, particularly the second one, we were jammed into the train cars like sardines and if you aren't lucky enough to get a seat next to the window, your trip isn't so scenic. So, unless you just love trains, you might want to do two trips on the Skyrail. Yes, you'll be covering the same "terrain", but it's such fun to be riding over the tops of the trees. Also, there are two stops along the way where you can get out and spend as much time as you like walking around the trees. (BTW, if you are wondering why I did this trip twice if I didn't like it the first time--I did it the first time with my family and then a few years later a good friend came to visit me in Australia and really wanted to take the train, so...)

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
91 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic Railway and Skyrail to Kuranda

So if your going to be picking the train up at the skyrail starting point rather than cairns your chances of getting a seat are even more limited?

Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic Railway and Skyrail to Kuranda

If I may step in here, its actually luck of the draw. Each tour company has a car(or cars) so as one tour company may have had a 'full house day' the other may not have done as well - you may see sardine cans on one end and literally empty cars at the other.

I tend to like to do this:

Book this tour directly with Tjapukai Aboriginal Center and buy the BIG3L package. This will start with hotel pick up, you spend the morning at the Cultural park and they feed you a wonderful lunch. Then around noon you walk next door to the Skyrail for your 1.5 hr journey up the mountain to the Village of Kuranda. You will have a little over an hour in the village and then at around 3:45pm you board the train going back down. Not a bad way to do this as by this time, the sun has usually gone down behind the mtn and its not as hot as the am can be. No AC on the train. We have done this a few times and have never had packed rail cars like some have mentioned.

It used to be there were slow days and busy days, as the markets in Kuranda were only a few days of the week. Now they run every day so the numbers have evened out over the week.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,431 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic Railway and Skyrail to Kuranda

ac..read our trip report in the palm Cove section...

It was fairly quiet in Kurand..the everyday markets really are not much..we get more in the local shopping street on a Saturday and i don't live in a tourist area.

You can book direct with skyrail on their website...

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic Railway and Skyrail to Kuranda

From a google search, I see that there is a "Kuranda Heritage Market" that runs every day, and a "Kuranda Market P/L" that runs Wed-Fri & Sun. I take it the "P/L" is the one to go to?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,431 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic Railway and Skyrail to Kuranda

Yes it's the big one with lots of different things.

perth
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Scenic Railway and Skyrail to Kuranda

Yeah i agree with longhorn74, we went to cairns in July and did the skyrail up to kurunda and the train back. The train does have its interesting moments, like going past a waterfall, so if you're really into scenery then you might like it. But personally I found it to be way too long and pretty boring for the most part. And they were also playing the most irritating music the whole time. We had heaps of people cheering in our carriage when the music stopped. An hour and a half of it can really stress you out when you should be relaxing. But the skyrail was fantastic! and the markets were really good as well so id recommend going on a day that you could go to both markets.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
652 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scenic Railway and Skyrail to Kuranda

We've done the train up and the skyrail down. Kids enjoyed the train ride and they do stop part way up. The waterfalls are nice to see.

When I recently looked at the website, I didn't realise that the train trip is as long as it is because I don't remember it being long.

We liked the skyrail down too, stopping along the way in the rainforest.

We're going to do this again at the end of December and we plan on taking train up and skyrail down. My father who doesn't like heights says he is taking the train up and down, but we'll see he may change his mind once he gets there.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
564 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scenic Railway and Skyrail to Kuranda

I like the skyrail, but would not agree with spending only an hour in kuranda. The bird park warrants at least and hour by itself. In town the candy shop has a demo at 11.00 and ? It is really interesting to see how they make it. Tastes great too. I need at least two hours for that and shopping for nice t- shirts and mementos. Also have some tea and scones somewhere and relax. At around 4 in the afternoon the tourbuses leave and the place shuts down. From 10 -4 it is open everywhere.

England
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Scenic Railway and Skyrail to Kuranda

We took the Skyrail up to Kuranda and also back down again, it was really good but you have to get off at all the stations and go on the guided tours you leard quiet a bit about the forest surroundings. Take your time and enjoy the journey and Kuranda aswell.