We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to visit?

Sunderland
Level Contributor
229 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
When to visit?

Hi am starting to plan a two month trip. Am wondering when would be the best time of year to visit?

I would like to see whale sharks on western coast but also want really good weather as we would be going over the the east coast also!

I see that march is a good time to see the sharks but what would the weather be like at this time of year?

I want to be able to have at least a few days on teh beach.

I know its autumn around this time but what temperatures could we expect.

thanks in advance

JP

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to visit?

March is still the wet season for Cairns and there will still be stingers in the water. This is not such a big deal as long as you swim in the netted areas on the beaches or in your resort pool. When you go out on the reef you can hire stinger suits (fully body lycra suit) which will protect you from stingers and also the sun.

For weather stats check out: bom.gov.au/climate/…cw_031010.shtml

What is wonderful about visiting Cairns in the wet is that the waterfalls are really flowing and everything is lush and green. It's hot and humid, despite being Autumn.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i16655-Great_si…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,315 posts
1,484 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to visit?

Hi,

IMHO Aug/ Sept is your best time to visit this region Nth Qld. (EAST COAST)

for info on marine stingers www.marinestingers.com.au

West Coast is Western Australia.

East Coast - Vic / NSW / QLD.

The seasons for Swimming with Whale Sharks is usually April to July each year in WA.

For info on Ningaloo Reef and swimming with the Whale Sharks.

www.ningalooreef.net/

www.exmouthdiving.com.au/

www.whalesharkdive.com

www.ningaloo.com/

3. Re: When to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2010, 04:17