We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to pre-book Skyrail?

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Need to pre-book Skyrail?

Me and my husband will be in the Cairns area in late October. We want to take the Skyrail to Kuranda on one of our days there and I am wondering whether we need to buy the tickets online before we go or whether it would be ok to just show up and buy the tickets there. In other words, is it possible that they will be sold out if we don't pre-book the tickets?

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need to pre-book Skyrail?

should only need to pre-book if you need a city hotel pick-up....the Skyrail is outside central Cairns, but you could drive yourself there. Have you looked at the train to Kuranda, skyrail return option for a different scenic experience in each direction.

Daintree
Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need to pre-book Skyrail?

I recommend booking your skyrail tickets from your Cairns hotel or tour booking centre when you arrive in Cairns.

If you turn up on the day at the Skyrail terminal there is a chance of standing for a long time in a line- so book ahead.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need to pre-book Skyrail?

There are two trains daily that leave in the morning and return in the afternoon. I recommend going to Kuranda by train and returning to Cairns by Skyrail. Since Skyrail runs continuously, your time in Kuranda is more flexible than being restricted by the train schedule.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need to pre-book Skyrail?

Thanks everyone for your information.

I will look into going by train the other way and return by Skyrail. Whatever we choose, I will probably book the tickets beforehand on the web, it seems like the easiest way.

We will be using a rental car (and staying in an apartment in Clifton Beach). Is the train terminal close to the Skyrail terminal (for parking reasons)?

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need to pre-book Skyrail?

The RR station in Freshwater is about 10km from the Skyrail station. There is plenty of parking at both. If you buy a "self drive" package it includes a shuttle bus from one to the other. Your return time on Skyrail will be for a specific time to coordinate with the bus. If you wish to leave Kuranda earlier or later just see the Skyrail agent and they should be able to change your time.

The train actually leaves from Cairns Central before Freshwater...but it's another 10km farther from Skyrail. You won't miss any scenery by boarding in Freshwater.

Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
159 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need to pre-book Skyrail?

We did this in early October, and there was no problem getting tickets. We went by train from Cairns to Kuranda, and then took the Skyrail + bus back to Cairns. We didn't even buy our Skyrail tickets until a few minutes before we boarded. Granted, it wasn't a weekend, so that may affect the crowds.

I would advise taking the Skyrail both ways. The train is a nice experience, but the Skyrail is breathtaking. People recommend doing both to cover your bases, but I found the Skyrail to be such a "wow" experience, that I think it's worth doing in both directions.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need to pre-book Skyrail?

Thanks for all your suggestions.

We are off to Australia tomorrow but haven't yet booked the Skyrail. We will just decide when we get to Cairns what we will do, either one way train and one way Skyrail or Skyrail both ways.

8. Re: Need to pre-book Skyrail?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2010, 05:16