We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help to choose between two reef companies!

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Help to choose between two reef companies!

Hi. I can't really swim (I almost drowned my fiance the last time we went snorkeling!)

I am debating between Passions of Paradise and Ocean Freedom. I understand they are both good, but Ocean Freedom is $40 more expensive per person...I'm not sure why!

Does anyone know which one would be better for more calm waters...but at the same time we still want to see the best of the reef!

Thanks in advance :)

Jessica

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,641 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help to choose between two reef companies!

The waters of the Great Barrier Reef are calm, and all the Reef tours are of a high professional standard, with excellent crews who will attend to your wellbeing and safety.

The reason one tour may cost more, is you get extra prawns for lunch!!

It may be best for your fiance to snorkell away from you, as I'm sure he wants to stay with you for a long time :)

Central Coast NSW
Level Contributor
221 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help to choose between two reef companies!

I agree - I think they are all as good as each other. Just look at the number of people they take etc. - you might want a smaller group. But if you are worried about sea sickness make sure you get one of the big boats because it is a nicer ride for you.

And grab a noodle or wear a life vest - dont want to kill your fiance before the wedding (or maybe you do!). My husband had a bit of a problem our first time out on the reef too - we were in a bit of a current and he panicked when he saw how far away from the boat we were. So he always takes a noodle.

ENJOY

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,808 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help to choose between two reef companies!

The waters of the reef can be calm, but they can also be quite challenging for snorkelling if the wind picks up....

They certainly weren't calm a few weeks ago....1-1.5m seas...and yes it was on the reef.... snorkel trips were cancelled on 2 days. divers only!

Having said that it is also true that seas can be flat as a mill pond...

Ocean freedom uses fuel which may account for higher running costs...while passions has the option to sail...Passions doesn't include the glass bottom boat ($18 extra) wetsuits $7 extra

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help to choose between two reef companies!

I suggest practicing with a snorkel, fins, and floatation at a local swim school or pool before your trip. That way you will be accustomed and at ease with the activity and equipment and can enjoy the Reef.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
470 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help to choose between two reef companies!

I did a day trip on passions in 2007 and had a great time, but that's not to say that any of the other companies aren't as good. Also, if the water is rough or calm, it won't make any difference what company you book with because it's all the same ocean. have a great time!

Toronto
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help to choose between two reef companies!

Thanks guys for all the tips :)

I guess I should just book with the cheaper one!

Melbourne
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Help to choose between two reef companies!

I went on the boat Posidom which goes out of Port Douglas but they will pick you up from Cairns also.

This goes to the outer Reef to 3 different locations.

They serve a great lunch and have plenty of staff on board

Its around $180 worth every cent.

8. Re: Help to choose between two reef companies!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2010, 05:15