We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How bad is the weather in the Cairns area??

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Freo
1 post
Save Topic
How bad is the weather in the Cairns area??

Hello! I'm planning to dash out to the Cairns area on Feb 22nd. Getting panick attacks when I see the weather forecasts of thunderstorms, scattered showers, etc. the thing that gives me hope is that the temp is around 30 celsius...so if the monsoon subsides, we're off to the races. Any advice is much appreciated. Many tks, Michel

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How bad is the weather in the Cairns area??

Michel_Kikano, it is the wet season in Cairns at the moment. I'm not sure what you were expecting. Yes, there will be thunderstorms (mainly in the late afternoon/evening and the chance of showers during the day. It will be rather humid along with that 30-degree weather.

Cairns is still a fantastic place to visit in February. Accommodation is definitely cheaper and it isn't as busy as the peak cooler months.

Get out into the rainforest and enjoy the lush green forest and waterfalls in full flow. It's absolutely beautiful!

Cairns
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How bad is the weather in the Cairns area??

Although the temperature being in the 30's sound appealing the humidity will ruin it for you. Also if you are to stay in Cairns make sure you stay in a house or somewhere with airconditioning, otherwise you wont get to sleep at night!! minimum overnight temperatures are in their mid 20's and it is still very humid even at night, it feels like im living in the freakin swamp here!

As for the thunderstorms, they usually happen anywhere between 3pm-6pm and are relatively short lived, you will probably hear about 3 very faint claps of thunder then the shows over.

This feburary has been alot drier than it should be, my grass if starting to brown already... what freakin wet season i say!

Edited: 16 February 2010, 10:35
3. Re: How bad is the weather in the Cairns area??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2010, 05:18