We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for first day (out of 3) in Cairns

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
48 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for first day (out of 3) in Cairns

Hi,

For our family, (2 adults, 2 boys--9 and 11yrs) we are doing Discovery Tour on 2nd day and Reef Magic on 3rd day.

Please help with our 1st day. Want to do GBR. Should I take transfer down to Port Douglas and take the Wavelength tour? Or, should I just take the Sea Star tour from Cairns? We all have never snorkeled before.

How would we get to Port Douglas, since we will have no car?

Any other recommendations?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for first day (out of 3) in Cairns

There a myriad of reef tours available from Cairns and Port Douglas. If it were me, I'd look at SilverSwift or SilverSonic (both are Quicksilver boats - one goes from Cairns, the other from PD). They differ from Reef Magic in that you don't go out to a pontoon, you snorkle directly off the back of the boat.

Wavelength does get good reviews. I haven't been on it myself but it was recommended to me for our last trip to PD. Wavelength and many of the other reef tour operators will be able to arrange bus transfers from Cairns to PD for you. On the Wavelength website it states that these are $30 per adult and $15 per child.

2. Re: Advice for first day (out of 3) in Cairns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2010, 06:19