We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public hols in Cairns?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Public hols in Cairns?

Myself,hubby and teen daughter already booked in for xmas hols and new year.s at 181 The esplande from 28th Dec to jan 4th. So was just wondering whether GBR tours and other tourist attractions still operate as usual during the public holidays? Eg,boxing day,new years,etc...Because we would like to do as much as possible in the time we are there..

Also should we hire car from airport or hire from town and how far car hire offices from our hotel?

Thank you for any replies...

Passions of Paradise Reef Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Day Trips
Spirit of Cairns
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours
Bad Fishy Jet Boating
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Speed Boats Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours
Brett's Outback Tasting Adventures
Beer Tastings & Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public hols in Cairns?

I do not think any disruptions. Christmas has reduced services but I feel that is about the only day. I would double check with the operators though.

Rental, plenty of places downtown. You are a bit of a walk from town centre. It will be warm that time of year so the walk may feel longer than it is so having a car the whole time maybe very useful. Otherwise the Sugarland car rental will be closest. It is located on Sheridan Street (the main highway). From reviews it appears many customers pay more due to insurance then they expected so keep in mind if selecting this service.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public hols in Cairns?

The last time I was there the only day they didn't operate was Christmas Day. I did a reef trip on Boxing Day and it was business as usual.

3. Re: Public hols in Cairns?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2010, 08:17