We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuranda one way skyway one way bus?

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
206 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Kuranda one way skyway one way bus?

Hi-

These day trips are waay too expensive so I was hoping to cut costs by going to Kuranda by bus from Cairns. Can I get to the Rainforestation some how by bus? What station do I go to? Can I take the bus up and the skyway down and stop off at Barron Falls. Or a better question what would be the most economical way to see Kuranda without renting a car? Any help would be great.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kuranda one way skyway one way bus?

Hi,

Rainforestation have a shuttle from Kuranda for $8.00 return.The website say the shuttle leaves from the Butterfly sanctuary.

If staying in Cairns the train would be easier as it leaves from city and also for falls lookout stop. Skyrail is located in the suburbs so requires another transfer or local bus segment.

If you catch the bus they do hail and ride which means they stop wherever it suits the passenger, as long as it is safe to do so. So they could drop you closer to rainforestation on the way. Will not save any money but some time backtracking.

www.transnorthbus.com/athertoncairns.html

So train $45, plus bus $4. = $49.00 compares to train return $68.00.

Edited: 23 April 2010, 00:55
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kuranda one way skyway one way bus?

Also.... I was just updating travel advice for article on bus transport- see right hand side of screen and found a trip i have not heard about before, perhaps new. However for $50 I never saw a trip this cheap. It goes to the waterfalls, cheese and chocolate factory and included breakfast on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. Not Kuranda but the southern section of the tableland. You have to buy your own lunch though., or take a sandwich.

capetribconnections.com/waterfalls-tour.htm

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
206 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kuranda one way skyway one way bus?

on that John's bus it says it goes to Kuranda, where does it go exactly? You have stated in a lot of your posts that you love the Skyrail so I would rather do that I think, but I guess when you add the Rainforestation $40(at least the boat ride and the show) it probably is just a bit more to do a tour? Or should I bite the bullet and rent a car for the day?

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kuranda one way skyway one way bus?

Not me that loves the skyrail. My husband does because he starts acting like 17 years old and gets the gondola swinging to annoy me lol. I think it fun and nice experience but not the top of my favourites..but worthwhile.!

When are you arrivng? the train is off the rails if you are coming soon so the train part may not be an option. If not they may have a special deal with bus and skyrail.

California
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Kuranda one way skyway one way bus?

Does the bus drop you off close to the skyrail in Kuranda or the Koala Gardens? Thank you!

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kuranda one way skyway one way bus?

Jules

Here is the Koala Park link for getting there:

http://www.koalagardens.com/gettinghere.htm

Just across from Koala Park is Therwine Street where the bus stop is located. It is actually a park between Therwine Street and the Koala park, not on map.

You can see the skyrail and train at bottom of map. It says free shuttle up and down this street but is is an easy walk through the shopping centre full of touristy shops.

For OP on this map is the Kennedy Highway which goes to Cairns and is where the rainforestation is located. That would be a long walk from Kuranda Village.

New York
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Kuranda one way skyway one way bus?

I was looking to do something similar to aujisali so I'm trying to gather some additional information. We'd like to do the skyrail one way walk around Kuranda then take a bus the other direction to save money. Is this possible if we are staying in Cairns? I found a bus schedule but I'm not sure if it drop us off where we want to be also how would we get back to our hotel from the skyrail? how much would that cost? thanks!

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kuranda one way skyway one way bus?

Transnorth has a bus service from Cairns city-Kuranda and return - www.transnorth.com As it picks up at 46 Spence St or Cairns Central shopping centre, assume that's where it drops off - both are centrally located in the city.

At the Cairns end, Skyrail is a little south of Smithfield, north of the city. There's a public bus stop nearby on Captain Cook Highway (Sunbus, the metropolitan bus service) in to city. Am not sure of Sunbus fare but bound to be less than Skyrail's shuttle back into Cairns city at $9.50.

9. Re: Kuranda one way skyway one way bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2011, 05:16