We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Advice on our plan for things to do

california
Level Contributor
807 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Need Advice on our plan for things to do

My husband and I will be spending 6 nights in Cairns end of August, beginning of Sept. this year. We arrive around 4:30pm in Cairns and depart at 1:30pm on Sept.3. The places we plan to see/do are as follows.

1) Spend 3 nights in Cairns - join Atherton/Paronella tour; visit Rusty Market and Kuranda/Skyrail or spend 2 nites and skip Kuranda/Skyrail experience?

2) If we do no. 1, we can spend 2 nites in PD, join full day snorkel trip to GBR; 2nd day, just relax and have a leisurely day. ?

3) Spend 2 nites in Cape Trib so we can join Bloomfield tour and 1/2 day snorkeling. Or is it OK to miss Bloomfield? If so,then we spend 1 nite in Cape Trib, 2 nites in PD, and 3 nites in Cairns and still do Kuranda/Skyrail.

Our schedule seems packed with daily tours, if we are going to Cape Trib, can we leave out Kuranda train/skyrail experience so we can have one leisurely day either in PD or cairns.

We are flexible as to what days we should be in Cairns/Port Douglas/Cape Tribulation. We have to fly a great distance to get to Cairns, don't know if we can afford to go back, would like to make the most of this trip and need your help on "must see/do" and which ones we can skip.We plan on joining tours instead of renting a car.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP! WE APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE/SUGGESTIONS FROM THE TA EXPERTS!

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Advice on our plan for things to do

I would head north first and finish in Cairns so the flight is easy to reach on your last day. Arriving at 4.30 will give you time to reach Port Douglas before dinner. From there you can take a reef trip and the Cape tribulation trip.

Or.

There is a company I like the look of the itinerary. They can do multi day to save the hassle of many bookings. I live here so have not taken the trip but reviews seem very good.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g255069-d1…

adventurenorthaustralia.com/page/tours.html

Plus so many options but more can be seen in self drive. I would recommend staying on the tableland if you do get a hire car. You can go around the food places so then no need for Rusty market. The Gallo Dairy cheese and chocolate, Mungalli Falls for yoghurt. Tea and coffee places. Fantastic food bowl up the mountains. PLus waterfalls, lakes, big trees and wildlife. Very nice.Not one big in your face but lots of little diversions.

california
Level Contributor
807 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Advice on our plan for things to do

Hi Verdant,

Thanks for your suggestion, it helps on how we would schedule our itinerary or activities. I will check out the 2 links you provided and see if we can have everything arranged from one tour company.

Can you also offer your opinion as to whether we can leave out Kuranda/Skyrail if we will already be joining a Daintree/Cape Tribulation tour. Or they are completely different, so we should try to accomplish both? How about Bloomfield in Cape Trib?

Have a nice day and thanks again, i value your opinion and others who'll send a reply to my queries.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
166 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Advice on our plan for things to do

I agree Rustys is not worth going to unless you want to buy some fruit or veg.

And personally id do Mossman Gorge ,Daintree, Cape Trib over Kuranda any day, Kuranda is too touristy, Trib is amazing.

Ive driven Bloomield and it is just a dirt rd thru the rain forest nothing special.

If you have time in Trib try get to the exotic fruit farm.

Enjoy

california
Level Contributor
807 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Advice on our plan for things to do

Hello SkipthemRuby,

Thanks for your input. If Bloomfield is all dirt as you said, then we would spend only one night in Cape Trib. Is there nothing to be excited about seeing and swimming on the falls? I forgot what it's called, but it appears to be the highlight of the Bloomfield tour.

Kind Regards.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
166 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Advice on our plan for things to do

Bloomfield track is an unsealed rd and if you have a hire car you wont be allowed to take it on it.

there are river and creek crossings and some very steep passes, they recomend 4wd only, we went thru to cooktown in an awd in the dry season and although we made it fine wouldnt do it again.

In the wet it is def only for 4wd.

we never went to the falls but ive seen pics and i think mossman gorge looks nicer and is a great place for swimming,look it up.

The is a great waterfall circuit up the tablelands and if you have a car you could do them all (at least 5) and paronella park at the same time.

6. Re: Need Advice on our plan for things to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2010, 08:29