We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Floods in Cairns

Melbourne
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Floods in Cairns

My Husband and I will be holidaying in Cairns next week staying at the Pullman Reef Hotel and would like to know if the floods have affected most of the local attractions to see in and around Cairns.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Floods in Cairns

There was a bit Christmas Day south of Cairns but the flooding is way south of us. Maybe 1,000km away.

It did affect supplies coming through by road from Brisbane but they are sending food in by plane and have noticed only a few shortages.

Have had some rain and some sun, patchy weather but nothing extreme since Christmas morning.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Floods in Cairns

Thanks that is great news, as I know January is usually the wettest month. Really looking forward to our trip.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Floods in Cairns

This year is hard to predict, I hope the weather is ok next week for you.

Forecast looks ok.

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,231 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Floods in Cairns

Grateful for this post and replies as we will be in Cairns at the end of the month. However, thoughts are very much with those in the Queensland area which have been badly affected.

Portsmouth, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Floods in Cairns

Here in the UK the Queensland flooding is headline news, how sad it must be for all those affected.

We are flying into Sydney 10th Feb, and have booked a camper van for six weeks, we plan to drive up from Sydney to Cairns and hope to dive on the Great Barrier Reef and visit many other area's.

We are monitoring the situation, and very much hope things improve, any news you can post,regarding infrastructure, like roads, camping, petrol stations and food you can post, would be most grateful.

As your prime minister said--You might be hurting--but--your spirit has not been broken--keep your chin up----Alan.

Edited: 11 January 2011, 12:25
Portsmouth, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Floods in Cairns

Here in the UK the Queensland flooding in headline news, how sad it must be for all those affected.

We are flying into Sydney 10th Feb, and have booked a camper van for six weeks, we plan to drive up from Sydney to Cairns and hope to dive on the Great Barrier Reef and visit many other area's.

We are monitoring the situation, and very much hope things improve, any news you can post,regarding infrastructure, like roads, camping, petrol stations and food you can post, would be most grateful.

As your prime minister said--You might be hurting--but--your spirit has not been broken--keep your chin up----Alan.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Floods in Cairns

Theres no huge flooding in Cairns currently.

It's South Eas Queensland, some 1000 km to the South.

At this time Brisbane and surrounding cities.

www.brisbanefloodinfo.com

Edited: 11 January 2011, 12:34
Portsmouth, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Floods in Cairns

Thanks for your reply.

I note you have used the word 'currently' ha ha.

I'll continue to keep an eye on this forum, in the hope I can get the 'locals point of view' regarding flooding and the impact.

Ta---Alan.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
117 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Floods in Cairns

As of 18th Jan - you are fine - but like I just posted on another Cairns posting in this forum, it is prime Cyclone / Flooding season thsi time of year till around March 2011. I am also travelling 5 weeks during Feb / March in SEQ and FNQ and taking a risk, but aware that flooding may either make me detour a place / cancel going to a location or amending the itenerary.

But if we can get away with not being affected or timing it right - such a cheap time of year to travel.......

On Ya... Benno

Portsmouth, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Floods in Cairns

Many thanks for update Stubby, we have decided we wait until we arrive in Sydney, and then seek local advice, we are looking at a plan B, like heading South rather than North.

But we remain hopeful we can head North, cant believe my luck, 5 yrs ago I flew into Perth and drove up alone the West coast to Exmouth for some diving on the Ningaloo Reef,only to find we were driven back to Geraldton, by 'three' cyclones' in the space of a week, and only managed 'one dive'.

Alan.