We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth the risk?

Shefford, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Worth the risk?

What's everyone's advice here? I'm flying out from Melbourne to Cairns next Monday (17th) and planning to take the Skyrail to Kuranda before going on a liveaboard for diving for 4 days from the 20th.

The news in the UK and Hong Kong are currently all about the flooding in Brisbane and Southeast Queensland but there's also news regarding the lack of food supplies to Cairns and surrounding areas. Local news stations online also seem to be suggesting that the Queensland government are trying to determine the northernmost border of the floods which may be drawn from Cairns southwards. I've contacted the dive company who's saying that it's business as usual, but I would hate if they are saying that if only to appease their paying customers!

What's everyone advice here? To go or not to go? I'm under pressure from my family to cancel but wouldn't want to do so unless there's sufficient evidence!!

Many thanks

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,753 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth the risk?

Joe click on the red Travel Alert at the top of this page. Think it will answer all your questions.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth the risk?

The floods are 1500-2000km away from Cairns so not affected at all by the floods.

It is wet season so it can rain, sometime more than other times so nobody will say it will be dry for sure. Normally we get some heavy rainfall events during the months January to March.

Edited: 12 January 2011, 03:19
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
166 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth the risk?

Its fine here mate, bit of rain in the afternoon but thats the wet and it cools things down.

We aint starving.

Apart from the constant news on tv regarding the floods nothings really different here.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
166 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worth the risk?

Sorry forgot to answer your question is it worth it.

Hell yes the only thing you have to worry about if your going on a live aboard to the reef is the weather at sea, keep your eye on seabreeze.com.au

i was out last sunday on a fishing charter, sea was glass, water temp 31 so fishing wasnt great but still have had fish for 4 nights in a row.

forecast till next tues is looking good cant look any further ahead

Cairns
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Worth the risk?

Cairns has not been subject to the terrible flooding as seen in the south of Queensland.. Yes, we have the normal monsoonal rains which are usual for this time of year, and it is disappointing of the Tourism Bodies NOT to point this out. Weather patterns are fickle things, but NO rain today so far! So is it worth the risk? Definitely, if you want to see the tropics at its greenest. Nick, Cairns Holiday Homes.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worth the risk?

I'd go in a heartbeat. Friends are up there at the moment, having a ball.

7. Re: Worth the risk?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2012, 06:18