We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

when will it be safe to travel to cairns with this cyclone

gold coast
1 post
Save Topic
when will it be safe to travel to cairns with this cyclone

my partner and i are planning a week cruise, exploring the barrier reef n kuranda, plus a few other places.... for my 21st birthday....... i just wanted to know when cairns will be back to 'Normal" (If there is such a thing) anytime soon with all these disaster's happening in QLD.... :( :( :(

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,140 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: when will it be safe to travel to cairns with this cyclone

When are you planning on going?

It does not appear to have hit cairns as badly as anticipated and tourist infrastructure is pretty high priority as no tourists=no income.

In several weeks most things should be ok (more cyclones excluded)

Caveat: I'm going on reports from a local so maybe they haven't gotten out enough yet to see bigger picture

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: when will it be safe to travel to cairns with this cyclone

melgoolzie it is just beginning to become daylight up in North Queensland so at the very least we need to wait for day light for the damage to be assessed.

By the middle of the day you should know if there is some chance or absolutely no chance at all of you being able to havesome sort of holiday. "Tourism" will not be top of the list of priorities but it is a very important idustry so as soon as possible things will be up and running again. Unfortunately you will just need to be patient for a day or two.

Cairns appears to have escaped the worst of it but there are reports of a few buildings in Cairns losing roofs.

Edited: 02 February 2011, 19:54
Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,805 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: when will it be safe to travel to cairns with this cyclone

The Mayor of Cairns said in a TV interview (at 08:00) that Cairns should be open for Tourism on the weekend.

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,805 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: when will it be safe to travel to cairns with this cyclone

Most damage is south of Cairns in the Mission Beach area. That is going to take longer to cleanup, rebuild and recover.

Edited: 02 February 2011, 21:34
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,140 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: when will it be safe to travel to cairns with this cyclone

8am today, Cairns Mayor has said even if your flight is today please head here. We need you, especially as they were hit hard by people concelling during the floods (which cairns didn't have).

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: when will it be safe to travel to cairns with this cyclone

my northern beaches part of cairns is back to normal. just piles of leaves and branches waiting on the roadsides to be collected. Power was still off in a couple of suburbs yesterday but should be back on by today. Its stopped raining and is sunny today. shops should be reopening by tomorrow. Most businesses in Kuranda, Daintree, Port Douglas etc all should be operating normally. tourism businesses will be a priority. It is safe to come here and you will find that everyone is incredibly friendly - even more so than usual

7. Re: when will it be safe to travel to cairns with this cyclone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 February 2011, 19:05
Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,798 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: when will it be safe to travel to cairns with this cyclone

Oh my... weather got you on edge MadsDad? This is Tripadvisor not Localadvisor - hence the tourist emphasis on the posts, LOL. It is nice to have volunteers/folks like GW who are prompt to provide info for tourists like me. :-)

Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,963 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: when will it be safe to travel to cairns with this cyclone

I was researching for a trip to the Cairns District but if MadDad is a representative of the locals I think I will give it a miss...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,140 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: when will it be safe to travel to cairns with this cyclone

I'm not sure what I missed? But I can't see anything wrong with either of my posts,

Post 1 is supported with info by Oscat...so can't be the tourism stuff.

Post 2 was posted just before 8am here (which is before 7am QLD time and based on an interview I saw on ABC News 24 with the local mayor who was pleading for tourists. Cairns has been hit hard by lots of things GFC, Aussie $$ and the recent weather glitches. I would think it was in people's, especially the locals, best interests, to have people informed of what is happening.

Not everyone who reads these forums posts a question or contribution. Some people will just be lurking a on a particular thread because it answers. If I had a 10am flight from here and it was nearly 8am I would want to know whether or not I should be heading to the airport. yes there are other ways to get info but TA serves a purpose too. Especially during "crisis" times.

If I said something incorrect Mads Dad, note I added a caveat, please PM me so I can remove my posts