We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cyclone Yasi... Is everything back to normal???

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cyclone Yasi... Is everything back to normal???

Hi. I am thinking to visit Cairns next week 15-Mar-2011 but concerning how does the cyclone Yasi affecting the tourist area. Should I wait for few more months? I talk to STA travel consultant and he mention some island has been damaged by Yasi need months to recovery. For any traveller has recently been Cairns or now in Cairns, please let me know if you are enjoying the trip. Also I heard now is rainy season, how heavily the rain you have each day?

thx

Sam

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cyclone Yasi... Is everything back to normal???

Hi

Yasi severely afftected areas quite a way south of Cairns primarily between Mission Beach and Cardwell. Dunk Island, just off the coast from Mission Beach is just about destroyed. This is about 1.5 hours drive south of Cairns. Since last week a monsoonal trough became stationary over the same area resulting in floods. The towns have been cut off and food/water supplies are low. So the disaster is far from over for those townships.

Further north the main tourist areas have been exposed to the fringes of the same monsoonal low this past week and have experienced varying degrees of rainfall, but overall been a wetter week than usual. Rainfall this year has already exceeded normal annual averages. Forecast for the near future vary but possible another monsoonal low will follow this one in during the next week.

Cyclone damage - Cairns and further north not noticeable, all cleaned up now. So weather outlook a bit blah though could be ok, today on the sunny side with cloud cover now and then but keeps it cool so nice. Reef cairns and North only slightly affected by cyclone and all resort towns like Palm Cove and Port Douglas no cyclone damage at all.

Waterfalls and butterlfies AMAZING.

So I would say it will rain for sure next week, how much really is important and I really can't say at the moment. 50/50!

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cyclone Yasi... Is everything back to normal???

And at least it's warm rain! As Verdant says sooo many butterflies, especially when the sun comes out after the rain. Everything so lush and green and amazing waterfalls and creeks.

3. Re: Cyclone Yasi... Is everything back to normal???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 21:18