We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire

Hi All

We are a family of 6 heading to Cairns/PD in October for 10 days. We will be hiring a car (people mover) to get us around. Can anybody help me wiht the following queries:

1) We arrive in Cairns at 4.15am if we book the car in advance will we be able to get access to it we we arrive or will we have to wait until the hire company office opens.

2) We have 2 babies so it is better to hire car seats from the hire company or hire them seperately from a baby hire place.

3) Any recommendations between Cairns airport hire, Zoom car rental, Avis, Honk or Budget.

Thanks in advance

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire

You won't be able to hire a car with the hire company office closed. That said, I think at least Avis will be open, and if you manage to reserve a car with the others, they will have someone there.

Whoever you book with, I'd call the local office to confirm the baby capsules appropriate for the children's ages you want in the car you are hiring, and check the opening hours while you are on the phone.

Cairns, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire

Just last week, we delivered some child restraints to Budget at Cairns Domestic Airport. Our customer was arriving on a 4.15am flight and it is my understanding that she was able to collect her car as soon as she arrived.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire

Thanks Hire for Baby and inas66 Thats good to know. We we worried that we would be waiting around until opening time with two little ones after a red eye flight from WA - not fun!!!

Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire

Anyone used Zoom car rental in Cairns? They seem really cheap. We have travel insurance that will cover high excess (AUD$5000) but other than maybe having a high excess are these guys cheap for any unpalatable reason?

Looking to hire a small car for 6 days from them. Anyone had good or bad experiences with them?

Edited: 01 July 2012, 09:00
Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire

Actually Redspot is another company we are looking at for a rental car. Anyone used them or Zoom?

All viewpoints appreciated.

Indiana
Level Contributor
796 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire

The cheapest we found, BY FAR, was National Car Rental. I know this sounds odd, but on the National Car Rental web site I was able to reserve a car below the price of all the others. When my reservation was confirmed, I was told to pick up the car at the Europcar counter. It was a Europcar. When I went to the Europcar website to make a reservation, the same care was more expensive. It may be that I am a preferred member of National. Not sure if it makes a difference what county you are in when you make the reservation as well.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire

do not think zoom are a car rental company but rather an agent.

i have used redspot out of cairns. they were fine.

just take the usual precautions. inspect the car closely on pick up (take pics) to make sure all the damage is listed. and again pics on return. always good that the company rep does the final inspection with you present.

Edited: 01 July 2012, 22:53
Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire

Try Leisure Wheels or Cruising Car Rentals - they supply baby seats for free.

Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Hire

Thanks for your posts. In the end I went with Budget, partly becasue I had used them before, and they are not excessively expensive, but primarily because we had left our run so late that none of the other car hire firms at the airport had cars available for our dates! So take this on notice: if you hope to arrive at Cairns airport and collect a car, it's best to book first rather then "wing it"!

Edited: 13 July 2012, 06:30
sydney
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Hire

Stay away from Zoom car hire. They are a scam company who give you a quote, charge on th equote, give you a car that is different and there are additional costs chargeable by th ecar hire firm they contract with.

pay a little extra and go with a reputable firm. Zoom are part of Atlaschoice. read reviews and you will see they are not to be trusted.