We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach resort or The Lakes

Nevada City...
Level Contributor
33 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Beach resort or The Lakes

We're a family of 4 with 2 kids ages 11 and 18. The older one wants to try diving and visit the rainforest, my wife wants to stroll on the beach in the evening and my 11 year old wants to go to the pool. Seems we can't make everyone happy. We're torn between The Lakes for my daughter, but my wife likes the look of the Golden Sands Resort in Yorkeys. Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
The Lakes Cairns Resort
The Lakes Cairns Resort
623 Reviews
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach resort or The Lakes

Women win most of the time, and everyone knows when mama's happy, the world is happy.

Unfortunately as great as The Lakes is, it is no where near a beach so this will elimiate those long strolls on the beach at night.

Have not seen Golden Sands but Yorkey's, Trinity and Kewarra Beaches are just lovely.

All are quite convenient to reef trips, however, some of the day boats do not offer complimentary pick ups from Northern Beaches. You may wish to include a rental car when budgeting for this trip.

Mentioned in this post
The Lakes Cairns Resort
The Lakes Cairns Resort
623 Reviews
Cairns, Australia
Trinity Beach
Trinity Beach
Cairns Region, Australia
Kewarra Beach Resort & Spa
Kewarra Beach Resort...
1,190 Reviews
Kewarra Beach, Australia
Brisbane
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach resort or The Lakes

The Lakes is nice- but it is just on the edge of the town. No beach and a long walk to get to the centre of town/esplanade/lagoon etc.

Yorkeys is lovely- I lived there for years (and right next to Golden Sands). I think it would be a good option for you. There is only a yacht club and a few shops in Yorkeys , so you would really need to hire a car to get around. Palm Cove may also suit- lots of restaurants, nice beach -it is very tourist though, where as Yorkeys is more of a 'local' beach. Quicksilver (reef trip) boat stops at Palm Cove jetty. Most pick up from Yorkeys too though - I know Quicksilver does. The Daintree/Cape Tribulation is a good day trip by car, taking in Port Douglas on the way back.Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
The Lakes Cairns Resort
The Lakes Cairns Resort
623 Reviews
Cairns, Australia
Palm Cove
Palm Cove
Cairns Region, Australia
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Cairns QLD
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach resort or The Lakes

I just come back from a Holiday in Cairns. Was Very beautiful and Can be VERY expensive. I budget everything. even car hire. Try cairns older car hire for car hire. very inexpensive and have discount vouchers too. got some free maps even to were I was staying in port douglas. yorkeys is nice however you cannot swim it is box jelly fish season so the lake has its own pool and close to city. You will have lots of fun. dont forget to pack sunscreen and RID!! (aerogaurd)

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia