We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cape york

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
cape york

what is the best time of year to travel to cape york? How far can we get in a two wheel drive? what is there to see? where to stay when we get there?

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cape york

Some good info here:-

australianexplorer.com/cape_york_peninsula.h…

However I would never recommend trying it in a 2-wheel drive - it is a VERY long way with a lot of bad road and rocky creek crossings, depending on which route you take. The Development Road is a better road than the old Telegraph Track which is seriously 4WD only.

Accommodation is available in some places but there are long distances in between so, doing it yourself, you would need to take camping equipment - there are some beautiful camping spots along the way.

Scenery? Mostly scrub, bush, bushy scrub and more scrub and very dry in the dry season - and you would not want to attempt it at any other time of year.

However it is a fantastic experience and, I think, one of those 'must-do-once' things. We did it in the early 90's and loved it, especially camping at Punsand Bay right on the tip overlooking Torres Strait.

Hope this helps.

Daphne

Cairnslocal4
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cape york

You can only go as far as Cooktown in 2wd on the inland road, better to hire a 4wd vehicle best time is June thru to sept

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,453 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cape york

We did it in 1989- up the Old Telegraph Track an back down the outside. Also stayed at Punsand Bay and took a boat trip across to Thursday Island. Bamaga and Cooktown were highlights - also just the beautiful creeks and waterfalls. Can only back up everything that Sunbird says. You do need 4wd. Just do it!!!

Brisbane, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cape york

thank you so much for your advise just what I was looking for.

Brisbane, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: cape york

thank you for the great advise

North Ward...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cape york

My 70yo mate took his wife and 2WD Territory as far as he could up the easy cape road - and got to the very top. It's not the bog it used to be.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,453 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cape york

The coastal track has always been relatively OK.- except for a couple of river crossings- but also oK if you do them at low tide. My OHs uncle took an old Holden up there in the 60's - but you certainly would not get a 2wd up the Telegraph Track. We had two 4x4s and a trailer and had to use the winch at a couple of creek crossings.

And having done both I really wouldn't bother going if i couldnt do the Telegraph TRack. You would miss all the best bits.

8. Re: cape york

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 06:17