We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat trip only To Great Barrier Reef-Which is best for non-s

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
12 posts
Save Topic
Boat trip only To Great Barrier Reef-Which is best for non-s

We are seniors non-swimmers.

Which boat trips/tour companies from Cairnes would you recommend? We are in Cairnes 10/4-6/11. I have looked at many sites --BUT all seem to present Diving not ie. glass bottom viewing and semi-submersibles.

Thanks--we want to see theGreat Barrier Reef-

rick

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat trip only To Great Barrier Reef-Which is best for non-s

Quicksilver out of Port Douglas would, I think, suit you perfectly:-

www.quicksilver-cruises.com/wavepiercer.htm

As you'll see they will pick you up from Cairns for the hour's drive up to Port Douglas and the huge, very comfortable catamaran will take you to the very edge of the Great Barrier Reef where they have a very big, stable pontoon. From there you can take a semi-submersible boat and the pontoon itself has an underwater viewing platform. All the usual snorkel/dive activities are there too, plus fish-feeding and even a helicopter.

I can't quite work out how many days you'll be in Cairns and when - is it from 4th to 6th November? If so it won't be a very busy time so I'd suggest not booking till you get here so that you can pick the day with the best weather - the corals and fish look so much more stunning on a sunny calm day!

Where are you staying in Cairns? Your hotel should be able to help you with bookings.

I hope you have a fantastic holiday in our beautiful far north Queensland!

Edited: 11 September 2011, 06:50
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,152 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat trip only To Great Barrier Reef-Which is best for non-s

The facilities that Quicksilver have at their pontoon are very good IMO. We very much enjoyed our day with them and would recommend.

Minnesota
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat trip only To Great Barrier Reef-Which is best for non-s

Thanks- Sunbird-- sorry for the confusion on dates --I meant--Oct 4th thru the 6th of 2011--Does this change your answer regarding booking?

Rick

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
12,193 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat trip only To Great Barrier Reef-Which is best for non-s

An option that leaves directly from Cairns rather than having to travel to/from Port Douglas for Quicksilver (and incur the extra expense) is Reef Magic. They have an underwater viewing area, semi-submersible tour and a glass-bottom boat tour. I personally have not taken this boat but I have read many favorable reviews of it.

http://www.reefmagiccruises.com/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
379 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boat trip only To Great Barrier Reef-Which is best for non-s

Quicksilver also go to the Low Isles. The Low Isles is a tiny island where you are based for the day. You can see curl in knee deep water. There is also a glass bottom boat.

6. Re: Boat trip only To Great Barrier Reef-Which is best for non-s

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 01:17