We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairns in March or Sept/Oct..which is best for the reef??

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Cairns in March or Sept/Oct..which is best for the reef??

Hi Guys,

I went to Cairns last August/September for 5 days and loved it so I'm planning another trip - but I just can't decided which is the best time of year to go.

We're thinking of either the first week in March or around either beginning of Sept or end Sep/Oct???? I know they'll be more rain in March but understand that the Summer months are the best time of year to go for better water visibility, but then on the same website they said their preffered time to go was in Sept and Oct.

When we went last year the water was freezing and we didn't get clear blue skies for many days...but it wasn't so hot in the day either. I don't know how much of a difference a couple of weeks would make to the water temperature if we went end of Sep??

Any thoughts would be helpful,

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairns in March or Sept/Oct..which is best for the reef??

Sept-Dec are statistically windier than March (exclude cyclones from the calculations). In Sept this year water was around 24-25 and March was 28ish. The weather has been very sunny over the past few months but who knows as last year it was wet from August onwards - it was the wettest season in memory.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,728 posts
1,679 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairns in March or Sept/Oct..which is best for the reef??

Sept is usually the best time to visit this region.

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairns in March or Sept/Oct..which is best for the reef??

Statistically Feb and March are the wettest months of the year, although a couple of years ago we were watering the gardens in March! Every year's different but I would definitely suggest September would be better - otherwise May/June is likely to have less rain, fewer crowds and everything is lush and green at the end of the rainy season.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairns in March or Sept/Oct..which is best for the reef??

I would suggest late August / early September, as it's usually the best weather for the region, and the clearest water.

The rain in Aug/Sept 2010 was really unusual. This year there was very little.

Aug/Sept is statistically the driest time of year, and it's not unusual to have no rain for a month.

I agree with Sunbird's comments about May/June.

However, if you do come in March don't be concerned about the wet. It will definitely be lush and green. All tours remain available as usual.

If there is a cyclone they may stop for one or possibly two days.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cairns in March or Sept/Oct..which is best for the reef??

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

6. Re: Cairns in March or Sept/Oct..which is best for the reef??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2012, 10:17