We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay in cairns

Ulverston, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay in cairns

My daughter is travelling to Australia in February and is staying in Cairns for 3 days but is not sure where to stay. She is thinking of theSea Change Beach Front Aprts. I think they are on Trinity Beach. Does anyone know how far they are from Cairns Airport and the price for the transfer. Is there plenty to do nearby ie cafes etc. She has heard there maybe crocs and jellyfish!

Thank you for your help.

Barbara

Cairns, Qld
Level Contributor
26 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay in cairns

Trinity beach is about 25 mins from the centre of Cairns. There are some cafes/restaurants in the area, a stinger net on the beach, small supermarket etc but not much in the way of retail therapy. Will she be hiring a car? What is she interested in seeing/doing during her stay? Depending on her interests she would probably be better off staying somewhere in town.

Cairns, Qld
Level Contributor
26 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay in cairns

Sorry, in regard to the transfer there is an airport shuttle bus to the northern beaches for around $12, I think. Look under the travel guide in the top left corner, then in the travel articles under Transportation for more detailed info and websites. I guess my point before was that staying out at Trinty she will be limited in her activites unless she wants to hire a car.

Ulverston, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay in cairns

Thank you so much for your replies. Do the nets mean it is safe to swim? She has also heard Port Douglas is a good place to stay. Is it a beach area within easy reach of the reefs. Her partner would love to go boat fishing in the reefs. Has anyone any ideas for a convenient place to stay. How far is the centre of Port Douglas from the beaches. And again how far is it from Cairns airport.

Thank you again.

Barbara

Cairns, Qld
Level Contributor
26 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay in cairns

The nets are the safest option for swimming. They protect against box jellyfish and various other stingers. Irukanji (not sure of spelling) can get through but usually only enter our waters if there's a northerly and then the beaches would close. Ask advice from Beach Guards if unsure.

Port Douglas is a lovely area about an hour from Cairns and a very scenic drive. Boat fishing can be arranged easily I'm sure. Try a google search or look back through previous posts using a keyword search for reputable companies /recommendations. Four Mile Beach is easily accessible from the main street of town. Personally I like the Villa San Michele in the heart of town when I stay in Port. It's close to everthing and well appointed. Hope that helps.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay in cairns

Sea Change at Trinity Beach are gorgeous holiday apartments, in a quiet beach. there is a couple of restaurants and cafes in walking distance, but ideally you would want to hire a car. The beach is great for families, and if there are stingers, the life savers will have a net in the water, which you can swim in. Another option is Palm Cove, which is another northern beach, about 30min north of cairns. Offers many restaurants, cafes, shops and holiday apartments. Port Douglas is another 45 minutes north, you can do fishing trips from Port Douglas, or some can arrange transfers from Palm Cove for you too. Both Palm Cove & port douglas beaches have life guards and stinger nets if required.

Ulverston, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay in cairns

Thank you for your messages. My daughter has decided to book apartments in Palm Cove. They sound really nice people and the beach seems to have everything they want. They feel more confortable knowing there is a lifeguard and a net.

Thanks again.

Barbara

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
288 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay in cairns

My husband works on the reef and we have lived in Cairns for a few years now. Personally I wouldn't go in the water from November to May without a full body stinger suit, it is not worth the risk. For swimming most hotels have a pool and that is the only safe option without a suit.

Palm Cove is one of the beaches that gets closed because of stingers on a regular basis...I'm not trying to be a downer, but giving you advise as a local.

cairns
Level Contributor
519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay in cairns

HI

kitty-venice I would not swim in the nets the stingers can get in there

The only way i would swim would be with a stinger suit

This is also coming from a LOCAL

The beaches have been closed quite a bit lately

If your daughter wants to swim go out to the REEF and she will be able to hire a suit off the operator or stay where there is a POOL

Regards mosiewigs

9. Re: where to stay in cairns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2013, 10:32