We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain Forest Tours from Cairns

Baltimore...
6 posts
Save Topic
Rain Forest Tours from Cairns

Hi, all

So we're in Cairns for 3 days and need to plan Day 2. We definitely want to go on a jungle tour but I'm confused about which one. Here are the three I've narrowed it down to:

http://www.treknorth.com.au/?q=capetribtour

skyrail.com.au/tours/skyrail-kuranda-rail-wi…

jungletours.com.au/cape-tribulation-tours/go…

Has anyone gone with Trek North, Skyrail, or Jungle Tours? They each offer their own experience and are roughly the same price ~$150

Any info to help us decide?

Thanks a lot!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
1,403 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rain Forest Tours from Cairns

They are different as Skyrail is at Kuranda whilst Jungle Tours are located in the Daintree National Park which is approx 1hr drive north of Cairns.

Skyrail is closest to Cairns.

My vote would be for the Jungle Tour as you get to see the coastline from Cairns to the Daintree National Park & Cape Tribulation.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rain Forest Tours from Cairns

I would also suggest Wilderness Eco Safaris for a great day trip with a small group www.wildernessecosafais.com

If you are wanting to see more wildlife Wait a While tours will take you spotlighting from the afternoon and evening. www.waitawhile.com.au

Both provide hotel pick up's and have great guides

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rain Forest Tours from Cairns

Skyrail is an amazing journey and there are some great walks in Kuranda that you can take whilst in the village. The Barron Falls should be raging.

Adventure north tours have a Daintree Dreaming tour that has some great indigenous content which is very special.

Also look up the Down Under Tours sight. Multi award winning tours.

A hire car could be another self drive option. Look for tour that includes Daintree Discovery Centre. Daintree is about 2 hrs north of Cairns.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rain Forest Tours from Cairns

As a long time Cairns resident I agree with Anthony, on both his recommendations.

Baltimore...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rain Forest Tours from Cairns

wow, thanks a lot, guys! these are great suggestions

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rain Forest Tours from Cairns

Did u do the rain forest tour if so which option did you choose thanks

Baltimore...
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rain Forest Tours from Cairns

I went with this one: jungletours.com.au/cape-tribulation-tours/go…

we did the cheaper tour. you can pay like $12 to get on the boat tour (absolutely worth it). but you've gotta bring your own food

I'd recommend it. it's simple and nice

Brentwood,ca
Level Contributor
273 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rain Forest Tours from Cairns

Is it possible to do your own tours if you have a car?

Thanks,

Baltimore...
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rain Forest Tours from Cairns

I suppose it depends on whether you have a 4 wheel drive and know a route

you're basically talking about visiting a park. pick which one and see if they offer trail maps for cars etc

to me, it seems daunting and you'd be missing out on everything a guide offers

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rain Forest Tours from Cairns

You definitely do not need a 4WD to explore Daintree National Park as the road is sealed all the way to, and a little beyond, Cape Tribulation. In fact you would only ever need a 4WD if you intended to travel past Cape Trib towards Cooktown - or if you drove west from the Atherton Tablelands (Cairns Highlands) into 'outback' country.

Very easy to do by yourself as there is only one main road through the beautiful rainforest to Cape Trib - make sure you stop at the Daintree Discovery Centre which will give you a wealth of information about the flora and fauna of the National Park. There are also a number of well-signed rainforest walks along the road.

Also, on your way north from Cairns you pass through Mossman - turn left to Mossman Gorge where you can walk by yourself, or with an Aboriginal guide, through beautiful rainforest and take a refreshing dip in the swimming holes.