We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainforest, Reef & Lodging Picks Helped Needed

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
165 posts
196 reviews
Save Topic
Rainforest, Reef & Lodging Picks Helped Needed

Hi all,

I'll be in Cairns for a few days and was on the hunt for opinions:

Rainforest: My top pick is Barefoot Tours to head to the Atherton Tablelands given the lower price than Billy Tea Safaris to Daintree and the excellent reviews. Will the experience in Atherton really be that much different than Daintree? I also seem pretty set on not doing Kuranda as I've heard a lot of lousy feedback. Does anyone disagree?

Reef: I'm thinking of doing Reef Magic, but at $180, its pricey. My main purpose is to enjoy the cruise, get to see the Great Barrier Reef and probably do a semi-submersive or the like . I may re-consider on snorkelling, but am unsure for now. I saw a couple of Green Island options that were cheaper, but the reviews seemed disappointing. Is it worth the cost to do Reef Experience if I'm not snorkelling?

Hotels: I am looking for something around $100ish/night thats in a convenient location but have come back with a slew of options that are decently-rated and hard to distinguish. The options: Heritage Cairns, Reef Palms, Balinese, Reef Apartments and Best Western. Is there anything superior about one of these over the others?

As always - appreciate any input.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainforest, Reef & Lodging Picks Helped Needed

In answer to your questions

1. Entirely different. IMO if I had to choose I'd go for the Daintree World Heritage listed rainforest, and try to get up the Bloomfield track to Wujal Wujal falls.

2. Forget Green island, unless you want to be there with hundreds of other tourists and not so special coral. Go to the outer Reef, it's worth the trip if you want to see the reef.

3. One of the first 3. Also check www.wotif.com.au for cheap accommodation.

enjoy LTB

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
165 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainforest, Reef & Lodging Picks Helped Needed

Hi, thanks for your response. I'll definitely do the Great Barrier Reef, but I'd be interested to know how Daintree is much different. Is it the quality of the natural beauty, the wildlife, or both?

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
288 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainforest, Reef & Lodging Picks Helped Needed

Hello,

Living in Cairns and going out to the reef on many occasions- I second that comment about Green Island....It is an over visited site and not really a good example of the reef.

I would suggest Passions of Paradise and visiting Paradise Reef and Michelmas Kay.

The Daintree views and rainforest is pretty spectacular and scenic...Tablelands is different, more farmland and scrub. Both are great to see if you get a chance though!

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
165 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainforest, Reef & Lodging Picks Helped Needed

Thanks for the clarification, impickles. I will definitely be doing one of the better cruises out to Michaelmas and vicinity and then a day in Daintree (perhaps with Billy Tea). I am sorry that I don't have time for Atherton, but I would prefer rainforest to farmland/scrub.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,421 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rainforest, Reef & Lodging Picks Helped Needed

Kuranda... yes, I still think it is worth a trip. The town itself is mostly tourist shops, but then hey.... I'm a tourist! The thing about going to Kuranda is the journey itself. You are going up on a train, a very old historic train, and the scenery is wonderful. There is a lot of history here, and there is a commentary on the way up, but it isn't obnoxious and constant talking. On the way down, the skyrail is facing the ocean and if you choose a sunny day, it is incredible! And you are riding overtop of the rainforest. There are two stops you can make on the way down. We stopped at the Baron Falls, the first stop. Actually got to see a cassawary when we were walking around. So yes, some people can miss Kuranda, but I am glad we did it. You won't have time to see and do everything anyway. We had a week there and were busy every day and couldn't see it all.

Hartley's croc farm was another great day for us if you have the time or are inclined that way.

6. Re: Rainforest, Reef & Lodging Picks Helped Needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 15:41