We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain rain rain?

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
154 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Rain rain rain?

I've been checking up on Cairns weather a few times this month and each time I look online it's predicting rain. Is this the type of rain that pours for an hour or so and then becomes sunny or an all-day rain? Do snorkling companies still operate in rain?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
154 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rain rain rain?

just found a bit on rain from the post below :)

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rain rain rain?

YES,,, the weather is somewhat unpredicable... but is is somewhat predicatble too.

I was just there in first week in March.

Beyond the start of the rainy season.

Locals asked why I came in the Rainy season.

It is not like Florida rain... where it blows through hard for an hour and is sunny again.

It can rain darn hard for Hours and Hours. While it is warm rain... It will Soak you in 1 minute.

I would not recommend going to Cairns in the hight of their rainy season. Australians don't go there then.

And it is Hot and Humid... like Florida in summer. But then it is cold in much of US and Europe then.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rain rain rain?

Hi Sure1

It is good to hear your input, I am often asked to compare our tropical weather with Florida, however I am unable to as I have not been to Florida.

Qld in general can experience heavy rain for long periods of time, also heavy downpours and then sunny and hot again.

Where I live in the southern part of the state, we have experience drought for the past 5 years. Water is very precious.

Cheers

Jeff

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
154 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rain rain rain?

What about snorkling in the rain?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rain rain rain?

You don't go snorkling when its raining, you might get wet. In North Queensland we use to have aa saying, if you can see the hills you know it is going to rain, but if you can't see the hills then it is going to rain.

When I was in Florida, my wife and I got caught in a storm, and it was exactly like the weather you experience in North Queensland

Ontario, CAN
Level Contributor
487 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rain rain rain?

We have seen the rain in Cairns too!! We were there in mid March - just before the cyclone hit the coast... Having been in Florida several times we found it just as Sure inidicated above....it just poured constantly, whereas Florida seems to come in "bursts". We knew we were taking a chance in the rainy season but we were trying to escape the winter in Canada so opted to include Cairns in our trip. Regrettably our tour to the Daintree was cancelled (with Tony's tours who were most apologetic although it wasn't their fault) since the bridge to the Daintree was under water....and we did not get to the reef to dive as the winds were 30 knots plus and that makes for very rough seas. It was the only disappointment of our Aussie travels. On the other hand we took the Skyrail to Kuranda and saw the waterfalls raging and that was a highlight of our travels....

Ontario, CAN
Level Contributor
487 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rain rain rain?

I should mention that we took the Skyrail up to Kuranda and the train on return....I would advise the Skyrail both ways.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rain rain rain?

Hi Canuk50

I don't know if it is still the case, but when the queen came to Cairns in the 1960's she went up to Kuranda, and at the falls the water was turned on for her, so that she could see the Barron Falls with water coming over it.After she got into the rail motor, and departed, the water was turned. The reason for this was because the hydro electricity station built there. They weren't going to have the water coming over the falls again, but there was such an outcry by the public, so the company said that the water would only begoing over the falls while the rail motor was there, and it would be turned off after it had left. I don't know if that is the case, but I thought it was quite funny.

Sorry that you had a disappointing time up there. Tully on the Atherton Tablelands is supposed to be one of the wettest places in the world, butt that might change with global warming

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rain rain rain?

Tully is on the coast rather than the tablelands and is Qld's wettest town. There is a golden gumboat in town to commemorate the record rainfall, around which many townsfolk posed for a "what the?" photo for Rove Live, the TV show. It featured in Rove's annual calendar apparently.

We did the Kuranda Scenic Railway down the range last week and were disappointed too but I think sitting on the other side of the train would've made all the difference, but that's hard when it is allocated seating... I must start a thread on my experience since there doesn't seem to be a review option for the railway.

North Ward...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rain rain rain?

This is our wettest wet season for some years and it is late in the season and it hasn't finished as yet. Since the cyclone, it has rained just about every day. Everything is wet and the mold is getting serious. I have relatives holidaying locally and they are starting to get depressed, even though they seem to find things to do each day. I spent a couple of nights in Cairns last week (yeah, it rained - a lot) and it was very quiet for a school holiday period. I was even offered 40% off my usual room rate which was a surprise.

The good news is that when the dry season kicks in (it's gotta be soon!) the coast will look brilliantly green, the fish will be biting, the waterfalls and creeks will be running and the farmers will be happy.