We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GBR in january/february

Herning
2 posts
Save Topic
GBR in january/february

There seems to be a lot of questions concerning the GBR this time of the year but I haven`t quite yet found an answer to my question, so : Is it worth visiting any of the southernmost islands in jan/ feb ? and in case which one/ones ? I`m looking for as authentic experiences as possible with comfort /not luxury. Swimming, snorkeling sailing and wildlife has high priority. Am I better of spending time in a place like Byron Bay ? Main part of my holiday will be in and around Adelaide but I would really like a bit of tropical adventure as I don`t know if I ever will be back to Australia . Any comment, alternative destination or idea will be much appreciated M Stylsvig

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,669 posts
1,612 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GBR in january/february

Hi,

Jan / Feb in Nth Qld is the worst months to visit. However; I have & did enjoy it but you do run the risk of Cyclones plus its also Stinger Season.

www.marinestingers.com.au

IMO; you would be better suited to visiting Kangaroo Island ( off Adelaide) http://www.tourkangarooisland.com.au/ for swimming & wildlife

or >

Lady Elliott Island - http://www.ladyelliot.com.au/

Fraser Island - http://www.fraserisland.net/

Byron Bay

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GBR in january/february

I'm not quite sure what your question is? I have been to the Great Barrier Reef in January for snorkelling. No danger of stingers as they are not present in the reef itself (only the surrounding sea). The main danger I found was from the sun. You have to make sure you are covered (in clothes and sunscreen). I got quite badly burnt around the mouth and lips.

I am something of an expert on wildlife, so let me know what you want to see and I should be able to help.

Edited: 31 August 2012, 12:42
Herning
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: GBR in january/february

Thanks for responding to my post. I`m not quite sure what my question is either but I will try to be more specific. I am aware that jan isn`t optimal for the Reef but it might be my only opportunity ever to visit and I have wanted to go for as long as I can remember. So I have decided to give it a try. Where ( on the Reef / which Island ) would I benefit the most middle of jan ? I`m a lover of any wildlife and close encounters are high priority to me - rather than luxury accomodation. I would like to have a go at snorkelling preferably with instructor. I am travelling alone. Female, fit and swim well but with no divingexperience.

Thanks

Mette Denmark

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GBR in january/february

the GBR can be great at that time of year.

no trade winds can make for a very smooth trip to the reef and produce great visibility.

it is the wet season so u will possibly have to cope with lots of rain and very high humidity....and again maybe the rain will stay away for the duration of your trip. u never know.

the real downside of course is the possibility of cyclones which can totally disrupt travel plans.

i would head for cairns/port douglas. apart from the reef there is the chance to visit the daintree rainforest, atherton tableland and the water fall areas (which are great during the wet). these areas would be your wildlife encounter hit.

as far as the reef trip is concerned i would look at a company like 'wavelength'. they are snorkel only and will look after the snorkel novice quite well. but really if u r a confident swimmer, u will pick up snorkelling in a very short time.

www.wavelength.com.au

as far as stingers are concerned i would contradict the advice given in #2.

box jelly fish are not on the reef but irukandji can be and it is prudent to wear a stinger suit.

Edited: 01 September 2012, 23:09
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GBR in january/february

Simon, when you say <<I am something of an expert on wildlife>> and you clearly don't know about the irakanji jellyfish, you are actually endangering readers. Of someone were to believe in your expertise and swim around the reef in January without the protection of a stinger suit, there could be serious consequences.

To the OP if you go to the reef in January the tour operator will provide stinger suits.

6. Re: GBR in january/february

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 01:19