We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gillies Hwy

Maui
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Gillies Hwy

I want to take this hwy up to Atherton Tablelands. I know it has many bends/curves. Should I think, " Road to Hana"?.....Anyway, would I miss out on a very beautiful drive if I choose a different route?

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,535 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gillies Hwy

We've driven this highway a number of times and have loved the views along the way. Personally, I would only avoid it in very heavy rain, otherwise I am sure you will enjoy the trip.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gillies Hwy

For those who don't know the Gillies Highway it is south of Cairns near Gordonvale and is the quickest way to get to the town of Atherton. Many times I have taken/cycled all four roads from the coast up to the Atherton Tablelands ;the Rex Highway near Mossman in the North, Kennedy Highway up to Kuranda, Gillies Highway & Palmerston Highway.

My personal preference would be Palmerston Highway as it is an effortless journey. Second choice would be Rex. BE WARNED SOME PEOPLE USE THE GILLIES HIGHWAY AS A RACETRACK!

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,535 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gillies Hwy

I agree, we would often be doing the speed limit and yet we would have others right up on us, pressing to pass, but we found that on many roads around Cairns :(

We would always then drop into the left lane, whenever a passing opportunity came along, to let those who were heavy on the foot, to pass.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gillies Hwy

Take the Gillies. You should not have any issues as it is well maintained. There are many worse roads to the high parts of Nth Qld.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gillies Hwy

Several years ago I used this road several times on a visit and driving a rented Hyundai Getz. They don't come much smaller.

I had not problems. Traffic was light, very light. Just drive according to the conditions, particularly on steep sections and on curves.

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gillies Hwy

The Gillies Highway is a lovely drive however it is steep with very sharp bends. Its a lovely drive, especially coming down and on a clear day the view is just spectacular, you actually feel like you are descending in an airplane at times as your ears pop. Please drive to conditions and pull over at allocated areas to allow others to pass if you are feeling unsure and driving slower than others. There are regular users of this road that know it inside out and are confident and please dont feel pressured by them to drive faster, just pull over when its a designated spot. There is a fantastic viewing point not too far down which gives you a wonderful view of the area over cane fields right to the ocean and beyond. If you are doing the Tableland drive I suggest leaving Cairns via the Kuranda Range from the north, driving through Mareeba onto Tolga (great bakery) Atherton, Lake Tinaroo, Lake Eacham, Lake Barrine, Yungaburra and down again on the Gillies Highway to Gordonvale then back into Cairns. It's more or less a circle route but I have found it better that way.

Maui
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gillies Hwy

I want to see the water fall circuit, Mt. Hypipamee crater, and finish up in Yungaburra to possibly see a platypus. Will probably go up the Gillies and maybe come down the Kuranda Range. Are we going out of our way to come back this way? We could do the other hwy to Mossman, as we are staying in Port Douglas.

I am open to ideas.

8. Re: Gillies Hwy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2013, 10:17