We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upolu cay vs Michaelmas cay

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
11 posts
Save Topic
Upolu cay vs Michaelmas cay

Hi,

As per title, any suggestion on this these cays? Which one is more spectacular and worth for money? Please recommend which cruise is better as well.

Another question is which cruise is working better to outer barrier reef like agincourt ribbon reef and so on. I heard about Quicksilver but it is too far expensive. Any other suggestion for 2 diver and 2 snorkel.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
288 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upolu cay vs Michaelmas cay

There is no competition- Michaelmas is by far the superior reef system to visit. Upolo is not as colourful, and interesting that their has been far more COTS damage and thus dead coral.

We have been out to Agincourt with Aristocat, Posideon and Silver sonic from Port and it depend on what you are planning on doing- diving or snorkeling?

We found the diving better on Aristocat. Posideon seemed to cater for less experienced people and time was wasted on underwater skills (for half the group while the rest of us just waited around underwater) instead of getting straight into it! Silver sonic seemed less personable than the other boats.

Sydney, Australia
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Upolu cay vs Michaelmas cay

Thanks, we got 2 divers and 2 snorkel, I'd already book with Quicksilver to agincourt reef, I think quicksilver should be the best cruise to agincourt, tell me if I'm wrong.

The second day, I would like to do some sandy cay for sun bathing and snorkeling around (just a small portion of sandy cay is good enough for me). So I'm aiming for upolu cay as it is real small from the brochure. Michaelmas cay seem quite big and a lot of bird which is no really attract me...

Any idea?

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
288 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upolu cay vs Michaelmas cay

The birds are part of the attraction to Michaelmas- the area in which you can sunbath/visit is about 80 meters long as most of the isle is protected as a bird sanctuary.

As I said earlier, personally, Upolu is not worth visiting and not a good example of the reef and Michaelmas is far superior. But of course it is up to you, I just know which one I would choose every time (and I have done quite a few dives/snorkel out on the reef).

Have a good trip whatever you choose. I'm going back out to Michaelmas this week, with Passions of Paradise again!

4. Re: Upolu cay vs Michaelmas cay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 14:18