We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

#Confused

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
#Confused

We are planning a trip and have 14 nights arriving and departing Cairns.We originally though to do 6 nights cairns and 7 Port Douglas with our last night back in Cairns as hac=ve an early flight out.. Now reading some of the forum comments we think we may be better to do longer in cairns and not PD. e want to go up to cape Tribulation and daintree too!

HELP!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: #Confused

It's a personal preference. Cairns is a city and PD is a more laid back resort style town. I prefer PD as its closer to the Daintree and Mossman Gorge(which I love to visit) and living in a city I prefer to take my holidays somewhere quieter. PD is small and if you stay right in town everything is in your doorstep. No need for cabs or buses to get to restaurants, shops, the beach etc.

But, as I said, it's a personal choice. There's no doubt that Cairns offers a wider variety of almost everything and is much bigger.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: #Confused

I like both places but when I spend my hard-earned it's most PD that wins out. More laid-back and the place feels like a holiday. Cairns is not far away and the drive is spectacular.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
288 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: #Confused

Hi,

Another idea would be to start in Cairns (6 nights) as you have suggested and then maybe only do 3 nights in Port, and then travel up and stay for 2 nights in Cape Trib or the Daintree? If you don't want to hire a car there are overnight tour options, for example 'Jungle Tours'.

If you are planning on hiring a car, then a few nights up on the Tablelands is also an option. The Tineroo and Crater lakes regions have cabins and retreats. It would allow you to see more the overall area than just the city in Cairns and the few streets that make up Port Douglas.

Personally- 7 nights in Port Douglas is too much, even with a few days out doing tours. Unless you plan on just laying out at your resort and relaxing.

Are you planning on seeing a variety of reef systems as well? The reefs accessible from Cairns are different to the Agincourt reef, which where many Port boats travel too. Do you need boat recommendations?

What types of experiences were you looking to do.... if you give us a few ideas and I am sure that we can all help!

4. Re: #Confused

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 21:18