We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which reef still have abundant coral and marine wildlife?

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
13 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
which reef still have abundant coral and marine wildlife?

i am going to visit great barrier reef next month, in November, as a once in a life time event, i would like to organize a cruise trip as fruitful as i can. after reading many forums, and travelers feedback in trip advisor, i am aware that some travelers were disappointed because the reef which they visited appeared dead or mostly grey.

anyone could kindly give me an updated information about the condition of the coral sea? which reef worth to go?

thanks in advance for your help.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which reef still have abundant coral and marine wildlife?

a lot of the reef is deteriorating due to bleaching.

some say 50% have been already been affected and that no reef will be there by 2050.

from my experience the reefs off cairns/port douglas eg. opal reef are still fine.

www.wavelength.com go to opal from port douglas. snorkel only

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
288 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which reef still have abundant coral and marine wildlife?

I was out at Michaelmas Cay and Paradise Reef (Breaking Patches), on Passions of Paradise, on Saturday and, as usual, teaming with life! The anemone fish were in their usual spots- easily accessible by both snorkel and dive.We also saw lots of gorgeous colourful parrot-fish, Napoleon wrasse and Picasso triggerfish.

I didn't see it but last week a Manta Ray was hanging out a fair bit at Michaelmas as well. As well as the Turtles that frequent these sites. On other occasions I have seen reef sharks and heaps of rays, lionfish and many other creatures!

The more 'barren' areas, travelling from Cairns, are around Green Island. COTS damage is pretty frequent there as well.

North Ward...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which reef still have abundant coral and marine wildlife?

Tour operators only go to the reefs with the best conditions - they get reports from the govt dept (GBRMPA) that looks after them - or they should if they don't.

The reefs I usually snorkel have a lot of damage as a recent large cyclone ran right over the top of them but these are well off the tourist track.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
13 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which reef still have abundant coral and marine wildlife?

thank you so much, it seems reassuring.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which reef still have abundant coral and marine wildlife?

If you have a bit of time, you could try reef trips out of Cape Tribulation. Smaller operation than Cairns but Mackay Reef where they head to is spectacular.

6. Re: which reef still have abundant coral and marine wildlife?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 19:17