We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When do school holidays begin September 2013?

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
southern california
13 posts
Save Topic
When do school holidays begin September 2013?

The Lonely Planet Australia guidebook mentions that school holidays begin in September. Since I'd like to visit Port Douglas for about five days in September 2013 and haven't tried booking my flight from San Diego yet, it seems preferable to follow trip advisors' advice and book the week before Australians go on school break to avoid crowds. Can anyone tell me when that would be in September 2013?

Secondary question: For about a five-day stay for a single, well-traveled, laid-back 71-year-old lady on a senior-citizen budget, any recommendations for home-stay, hostel or studio apartment in Port Douglas, centrally-located, since I will be sans automobile most of the time? Thanks very much for your input.

Edited: 18 November 2012, 19:45
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When do school holidays begin September 2013?

edit: wrong thread, sorry

Edited: 18 November 2012, 19:48
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,723 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When do school holidays begin September 2013?

Qld school holidays for Term 3 in 2013 are from 21st September to 7th October.

…qld.gov.au/public_media/…holidays.html

southern california
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: When do school holidays begin September 2013?

Thanks so much Aynat62. For some reason I didn't get your reply sent to my in-box, but appreciate your taking the time the answer I just found today. Now I can try to book my flight. Happy travels!! Bonnie

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When do school holidays begin September 2013?

Our favourite spot in Port Douglas is Club Tropical, especially their refurbished studio rooms overlooking the water-garden. Lovely light and airy, overlooking tropical gardens, the park and glimpses of the ocean. Very central yet these apartments are totally quiet (ones overlooking the road would be noiser) - all the restaurants. shops and pubs are right on the doorstep and the marina is just down the road. A huge room with large bathroom and a lovely big covered verandah which houses a fully-equipped kitchenette. There's a huge Coles supermarket over the road with one of the best ranges of fresh food you could find.

In fact next weekend we're staying there yet again for 2 nights while celebrating our 'special!' wedding anniversary! It's only a 50-minute drive from home and great for short mini-breaks from our own small accommodation business. Our plans at this stage are to take another trip out to the reef on our favourite cruise - Quicksilver - haven't been out for years so really looking forward to that. And treating ourselves to dinner at the famous Nautilus Restaurant - we've never been but have heard good things ... and most TA reviews are very positive!

5. Re: When do school holidays begin September 2013?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 14:19