We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for single traveller in 30's

Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for single traveller in 30's

Hi

I am travelling to Cairns for a week at the beginning of January and would welcome some advice in terms of places to stay and sites to see. I have never travelled alone before so any suggestions would be appreciated....thanks!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,778 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for single traveller in 30's

More information please! We need to know your interests before recommending a bunch of stuff that won't interest you in the least!

Also, do you have a budget in mind??? Are you open to hostels, a great place to meet people. Do you want to stay in Cairns, or are you willing to head north to Palm Cove or Port Douglas?

Will you have a rental car??? That will open up all sorts of possibilities. Or do you need to rely on public transit?

Have you had an opportunity to check out the top questions on the right hand side of this page? Lots of information for you there.

We were there for a week, a year ago soon, and loved Kuranda, a day trip to the Daintree and Cape Tribulation, Hartley's Croc Farm, the Sunday market at Port Douglas, getting out on the Great Barrier Reef for snorkeling.

Do some "homework", and come back with more specific questions, and we can help you a whole lot more.

Be aware too, that with traveling in January, you can be in the thick of the wet season. We were VERY lucky last year, and had gorgeous weather. There is no guarantee of what you will get from year to year.

Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for single traveller in 30's

Thanks for your response.

My interests are to see as much of possible around Cairns and Port Douglas, ie Cape Trib and Daintree. I have contacted a few tour operators and they seem to cater more for pre organised groups so if you know of any companies that deal with single travellers then let me know. Also keen to stay in Cape Trib overnight so if you have any recommendations?

In terms of accommodation I am open to hostels as long as there are some that are not just geared towards people on their early 20s. Not really looking for a contiki get away.

Thanks in advance

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for single traveller in 30's

Myself and a buddy will be in Cairns from Jan 1 - Jan 5. Will be doing the Reef Magic trip on the 2nd and not sure what after that. Feel free to join us as the more the merrier!

Pahrump, NV
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for single traveller in 30's

I am not 30 and I don't want to go to Cairns!!!!!!!!

I am booked to go to Visalia CA from Las Vegas. I need

information on flight, NOW!!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for single traveller in 30's

dear conrad,

u are on the australia forum

last time i looked visalia was in the usa......haven't read about any major california earthquakes so assume it still is.

i think u need to contact your airline to get flight info.

telephones are a good way of doing this.

Birr, Ireland
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for single traveller in 30's

Ah Lien.............we can always count on you to put a smile on our faces :)

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
288 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for single traveller in 30's

Hi Shelley,

A quiet hoste to consider is Northern Greenhouse. However there are numerous sales on accommodation in many Cairns Hotels at the moment so check out wotif and similar to see what is on offer.

Jungle tours is a company that do trips for single travelers up to the Cape. Also try Trek North.

If you are planning on a reef trip, I recommend Passions or Paradise or Ocean Free over the larger boats (Quicksilver/Reef Magic). The smaller/medium boats are way more personable and staff go out of their way to make single travelers feel welcome.

Have a great trip!

Ottawa, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for single traveller in 30's

Hello! I will be very interested in hear what replies you get (and perhaps repliers can make suggestions for me). I am also in my thirties travelling alone for the first time, but in Feburary.

I plan to head to Port Douglas by bus as I have heard Cairns is a bit of a party town. I think I am going to stay in a B&B, even though there is a risk I might not meet as many people.

What I am most concerned about is finding a way to see the Daintree and explore etc. without a car. I don't really like large organised tours. Is there a third option? Does anyone think dropping by a hostel to see if there is a space in a car going in that direction unclassy?

Does anyone also have any suggestions about how to find a GBR outing to dive/snorkel that is also not a massive tour?

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to an adventure, starting to prepare myself for things being different from what I expect!

9. Re: Advice for single traveller in 30's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2013, 06:16