We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days in cairns - organised tours or car hire

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
85 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
7 days in cairns - organised tours or car hire

hi

will be in cairns for 7 days at the end of september/beginning of october 2013

we would like to do daintree, atherton tablelands and karunda

what do you advise - organised day tours or car hire

we dont want to do any other night stays in the above places

Seabob Jet Australia - Reef Magic
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Perentie Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,728 posts
1,679 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days in cairns - organised tours or car hire

Hi,

I highly recommend you hire a car as the roads are all in good condition with limited traffic & you can leisurely drive around exploring the region.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
288 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days in cairns - organised tours or car hire

Definitely a car- It will be more economical as well.

The Daintree/Cape Trib will be a full/long day if you don't want to stay the night, as will the Tablelands....So you may need to limit and plan carefully where you want to stop and what you want to see.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
85 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days in cairns - organised tours or car hire

we had thought of doing daintree one day tablelands another and cape tribulation on another - does that make sense or would we be doubling back on the driving

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days in cairns - organised tours or car hire

Hi Rivercross

The Daintree and Cape Tribulation are right next to each other so you could do those together in a day.

Kuranda is easy to do in a Day and could be part of the Tablelands trip. From Cairns if you do Kuranda and the Tablelands in one day and the Daintree and Cape Tribulation in one day, they will just have to be long days. I would recommend setting off early. On the way to Daintree and Cape trib there is also Port Douglas that you may want to stop and have a look at.

You could also do the Kuranda Train and Skyrail tour and do Kuranda by itself in a day and then use a whole day to drive the Tabelands since there is a fair bit to see there like Milla Milla falls, Curtain Fig Tree, Lake Barrine and Lake Eacham and more.

Tours would take you to the highlights and help not have to use maps but driving gives you the Freedom and it's pretty easy to find your way around up here if you do a little planning with a map before you get here or with the people at the car hire place.

Have a great trip and I hope this helps.

Leeds, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 days in cairns - organised tours or car hire

Hi

We are currently in Cairns and are doing both car rental and tours. Having a car is handy, but the days we do our reef trips and tours the car isn't needed as we have discovered, all the tours pick you up from your hotel! I would do your activities and just get a car for the longer trips. In our lonely planet book, we found Cairns Discount Tours and they gave us great maps for our road trips and discounts off tours we wanted.

Hope this helps!

Cairns
Level Contributor
101 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 days in cairns - organised tours or car hire

A hire car will let you see things and stop at yourown pace. There are so many amazing places around Cairns, Atherton Tablelands and Cape Trib/daintree. You will love it.

Daintree/cape trib is a full day drive. You will also have to pay to go across the daintree ferry in your car. Ensure you bring cash as they dont except credit card last time i was up there.

For prices check out their website....i think it was about 30 bucks return. Also check ferry times...im pretty sure they run until approx 10pm but you dont want to be stranded in your car overnight :)

Kuranda is a wonderful easy day trip about 30mins from Cairns. Check the days the markets are on otherwise its pretty quiet.

Atherton tablelands...i would recommend the crater lakes. Lake Barrine and Lake Eachum. Yungaburra also have markets so check out the dates online :)

You can do the tablelands as a day trip

Hope you have a fantastic time in my part of the world :)

Mentioned in this post
Atherton Tablelands
Atherton Tablelands
536 Reviews
Cairns, Australia
Ubud, Indonesia
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 days in cairns - organised tours or car hire

Definitely a car! My wife and I are currently in Kuranda for a week. Naively enough we figured that we could just stay here and be fine. But we soon realised that there isn't really that much to see in Kuranda alone. Plus it was a 20 minute walk through the hot rainforest from our hotel to the township to get breakfast every morning.

So I got a bus back to Cairns Airport and then hired a car, haha! Now we've been driving all over the place. Went to Mareeba and Atherton today. Going to Daintree and Port Douglas this weekend. So much easier with a car! :)

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
85 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 days in cairns - organised tours or car hire

thank you for your advice

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
85 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply